Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brake Caliper Sticking Need Parts Advice

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Uc11 
#1 ·
only have 46k miles on the clock and ive got the common brake caliper sticking on my truck (left front). in an effort to get it back home I have warped and ruined the rotor and of course the pads are toast too. im going to go ahead and do both front sides with new calipers, pads, and rotors.

what is everyone running for replacement calipers, rotors, and pads? I got a quote from NAPA on theyre best brand of everything for $320, of course that's rebuilt calipers, aftermarket pads and rotors. or I can get LOADED MOTORCRAFT calipers with new pads for $125, but am worried about them sticking like the ones I have now are. im also curious about the cross-drilled rotors ive seen online and wonder how they perform while towing.

#2 ·
bump. nobody has any input?:dunno:

#4 ·
are the rebuilt ones lasting as long (or hopefully longer) than the OEM? my truck sits the majority of its life, which im sure is what got the calipers. I really only use it when i need to pull something that my lil 4.0L ranger wont, so I really want a TOW oriented brake setup. so far im really leaning towards the drilled rotors, rebuilt calipers, and extreme duty brake pads. going to be almost 450 bux.:(

#5 ·
Hey DirtyDiesel, what did you figure out on your brake issue, I am about to go through mine to hopefully fix the same sticky issue.

#6 ·
I got some new front calipers from NAPA, think they were they're ECLIPSE line but don't hold me to that. They are working great so far. I should point out that I did not replace the pads or rotors when I replaced the calipers. I wanted to make sure that te calipers actually fixed the problem before I dished out more money on rotors and pads just to have them warp or heat crack. My plan is to go with upgraded slotted rotors and high performance pads in the near future. Believe it or not but the truck's brakes are perfect, I can't feel and warped rotors and the pads weren't cracked up from heat.

#7 ·
I had my fronts replaced with a shop doing the work, so I can't say what the parts were used. My understanding is that the Ford Caliper has plastic pistons and earlier versions had O-rings on the slides (2006 model). I did receive a 1 year warranty.

Front right was dragging, rears replaced about a year ago. Truck has 130 Kmiles.

I am OK with the braking, unless it is a hard stop (push the pedal as hard as you can) then I am unsatisfied. Hence why I used a shop to get at my braking issues. My tires never chirp, or any other ABS characteristic. For the folks that say ABS can stop better than without, I say it is possible but that is up to the program and detectors that runs it. On this truck I think the program is crap and wish I didn't have ABS.

If you just scan for brake issues on this or other forums you will see a lot of hits compared to any other problem. A lot of posts on soft pedal.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. I definatley have at least 1 warped rotor now. I recently had to replace the abs sensor on right front as that brake got so hot from dragging that it melted the sensor wire. All pins seemed fine at that time and I cleaned and anti-seized them with new pads installed...Worked well for 3 weeks then the drivers side suddenly got quite warm and I have the warp wobble. I have ordered drilled and slotted rotors with calipers and tow/haul pads branded Power Stop. Hopefully they are a decent set. They read well. I will post my experience on this deal.

#9 ·
Yes, please post you're review. That's exactly what I am planning to do

#10 ·
I have always used the remaned apposed to buying oem and have no complaints, they last just as long as new oem. I have personal expierence with the slotted and drilled rotors using ceramic pads, while towing going through the mountains they toasted, the rotors got so hot they turned blue and even cracked one. the pads crystalized and shattered. Never again will I use ceramic pads. Was not happy sitting on the side of the road having to be towed trailer and all. Went back to stock parts and have had no further problems. also check your brake lines for kinks and check to see if any recalls on them. that has been a problem at one time. Hope this helps..

#12 ·
I have always used the remaned apposed to buying oem and have no complaints, they last just as long as new oem. I have personal expierence with the slotted and drilled rotors using ceramic pads, while towing going through the mountains they toasted, the rotors got so hot they turned blue and even cracked one. the pads crystalized and shattered. Never again will I use ceramic pads. Was not happy sitting on the side of the road having to be towed trailer and all. Went back to stock parts and have had no further problems. also check your brake lines for kinks and check to see if any recalls on them. that has been a problem at one time. Hope this helps..
NEVER use ceramics for heavy use. They are made for dustfree and quiet operation on a passenger car....just my .02...I am open for bashing, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.