ABS and check brake light on. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS and check brake light on.

Yesterday (4/10) I got on the entrance ramp to the highway the same time a new Chevy HD did. He turned on first though. I passed him as we got on 220. Ran it up to 85 mph pretty fast, then started sandbagging tryin to tempt him in to passing. Well this little honda passed us both. I started to goose it to show him up in his lil POS, but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to tempt my new buddy in the HD. Just as we were coming up on some cars, we got in the left lane when I noticed MR. BIG coming accross the median. Back out of it and let it run back down to 65. At this time I looked down and my ABS and check brake light was on. Got in the left lane and the Sheriff blew by both of us and went after the Honda. But the lights stayed on. After work, the lights didn't come back on until I was almost home. Hooked up the SC tuner and pulled the DTC's. Shows VO-121 code for loss of communication with ABS controller. But I just had reloaded the tuner back into the ECM after updating the tuner files. This time when I loaded the tuner, i used the Z rated tire option, which allows for more solid shifts and raises the speed limiter. Do any of you guys think that the tuner could have affected the ABS comm???? OR Anybody have any ideas why this would happen??? Totally different problem? Thought about pulling the tuner and see what would happen, but it's hard for me to believe the tuner would effect the controller comm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Also noticed cruise would not work, when light was on.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I read somewhere that if the ABS light comes on it could be a sign that one or both of the front wheel bearings are going bad.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstrkit View Post
I read somewhere that if the ABS light comes on it could be a sign that one or both of the front wheel bearings are going bad.

Can't be???? Only have 1900 miles on it.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got 15000 on mine and the ABS light comes on and goes off (about 2 seconds).
It happens every so often since about 11000 miles. The dealer can't find a problem
and other than the light, I don't notice anything.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonbuilt View Post
I've got 15000 on mine and the ABS light comes on and goes off (about 2 seconds).
It happens every so often since about 11000 miles. The dealer can't find a problem
and other than the light, I don't notice anything.

I have noticed this also. It'll blink on and off a couple of times (takes about 2 to 3 seconds). But when it comes on solid, it'll show the code for no com with controller. I was wondering if it could be a relay latching???

Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Posted this on another forum, and thought it might be useful for some people here... but probably not the original posters problem, since my actual brake light doesn't come on.

I've had the ABS light come on and go off during one trip. Did it about 2 or 3 times in 20min (of a 6+ hr drive). It's never done it in the 15k miles previous or the 3k miles since. I was driving in a light snow storm, and was passing through a naturally colder section of the highway for a few miles... started to notice the other side of the highway... passed car after car that had gone off into the ditch, spun out, etc... and our side of the highway started to ease off the gas after noticing those on the other side. Paying more attention, the black (wet) tire tracks where the snow was melted from being driven on weren't making that usual 'mist' as peoples tires run across it. As I slowed down gradually, (knowing I was on ice), the ABS light came on a couple of times in those few frozen miles. Once back onto melted pavement, it never did it again, and has never since.

Just thought I'd share that, since, I'm not sure if you drive on ice/snow a lot. If not, then maybe a wheel speed sensor up front, or the rear diff speed sensor is going bad, since it seems that slightly different wheel speeds can trip the light.

Last edited by ZeroOne; 04-15-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
have you tried to remove the tune all together to see what happens?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When my ABS light comes my foot is on the gas, not the brake
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusten View Post
have you tried to remove the tune all together to see what happens?
Nah haven't pulled the tuner yet, but plan on doing it this weekend and see if it does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.