4x4 auto not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 auto not working

So I needed to use 4x4 today, and you guessed it, not working. So here is my problem, I have the auto/manual hubs. When it wouldn't lock in, I went to manually lock them, could only turn the hubs partially by hand. Put a pair of pliers on them (scratched the plastic coating) and turned them the rest of the way to lock position. It works in that configuration. So it's gotta be in the auto system. Anybody have any ideas? Also, any ideas to make the hubs easier to turn by hand???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 04:04 AM

My auto hubs didn't lock after a cab off so I checked to make sure the vacuum pump was running while the 4x4 is engaged. Traced each tube that runs to the hubs and found the pass side was never reconnected. Connected it and fixed the issue.

Not sure about the tight hub deal, but interested about a solution.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

Two things:

1. 99% of the time, you have a vacuum leak and must trace your vacuum lines as powercho mentioned.

2. These hubs are not of the greatest quality however it's possible to pull and re-lube them to get more life out of them. Also keep in mind that when it comes to manually locking hubs, they're kind of like a diesel generator. You gotta work it to keep it working. What I mean by this is that go ahead and lock them in every once in a while to keep them 'loose'. Am guessing that the next time you try locking them in manually, it won't be so difficult.

Do a youtube search to learn how to re-lube the hubs. It's really simple.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Those are Warn hubs

and the only option unless you spend a grand to eliminate the Auto hub and unit bearings

it takes a few minutes to pull and lube and as mentioned they like to be exercised

if they need replaced E bay seems to always have new ones at the best $$
Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 AM

Thanks guys. I checked my vacuum pump and it is working. I'm gonna check the lines down to each hub today. And I'm going to pull the hubs and repack them. Hope I don't screw anything up, lol.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Pull the hose from one hub at a time. And check if your 4x4 engages each time. The unit bearing itself has O-rings that tend to leak..

Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Hubs were froze up. Cleaned and packed full of grease and seem to work fine now.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Well, I was wrong. They worked great after I put it back together. Went out tonight, dinner, driving around for a while and thought I should just check, hit the switch and nothing happened. I can here the transfer case lock, hear the vacuum pump, light comes on the dash, but hubs won't lock. Try manual and they lock in nice and smooth. Is there any other actuators that could be getting hot after driving and not functioning? It's dark now, but tomorrow ill be checking vacuum lines too. This is aggrevating.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Ok, I've got good vacuum to here. Nothing after though. Middle wire has bat voltage, left wire has bat voltage when 4x4 engaged, right wire has almost no voltage at any time. Doesn't seem to be a ground either. I would like to make sure its this switch before I replace it.

Attached Thumbnails
4x4 auto not working-1372109982387.jpg   4x4 auto not working-1372109998259.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.