2008 F350 Diesel Steering problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F350 Diesel Steering problems

Well, here is a good one. I have been driving a 2005, F 250 Diesel for about 120,000 miles now. All over the country and it has been a good truck but that little engine problem at 30,000 miles. Anyway, in Dec 2007 I ordered a 2008, F 350 Diesel, single rear, 4 door, long box.
Problem is driving down the road, the steering wheel is not going back to center. I have to work it back and it is rather difficult to keep it between the lines. In fact it is so bad that I'm not even driving it and use my old truck.
I took the new one to 2 different Ford dealer and both told me that all is normal and that is the way there driving. Perhaps so but that is wrong.
I took it to a frame shop who are highly regarded in this area and yes, all is normal but it is not driving very nice. We finally took the steering damper off and that made it a little better but not good at all. I called Ford and was told to take it to a different dealer that is all there are able to do.
If you let go of the steering wheel going down the road, you will go in a big circle. The F 250 never did and is still not doing it.
So, I went back to a Ford dealer and drove a 2008 F 250, no problem at all, the I drive a 2008 F 350 and the same problem as the one that I have. I do like the comments that the sales folks and the service folks have, like: This is a big truck you need to hold it with both hands, or it is normal that you have to force it back. Well, I do not think it is normal and some other folks do not think so either. Basically, we have now a $ 50,000 vehicle sitting in the parking lot that nobody wants to drive.
Any of you folks have experience with something like this? It think that Ford may have the Caster calculation way off but I would sure appreciate some input.
Thanks TK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is a chance that the steering box got set up too tight from the factory.I have gotten the gear box too tight on older rigs and they would not recenter until loosened some.Just a guess. Good Luck
Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargrove View Post
There is a chance that the steering box got set up too tight from the factory.I have gotten the gear box too tight on older rigs and they would not recenter until loosened some.Just a guess. Good Luck
There is a very goog chance that it might have a problem with the steering box. Mine is a F350 and it went in ths shop two weeks after I bought it due to a faulty steering box. It had a crack in the casting causing an oil leak. It did not have any of the steering issues your truck has, but it still had a bad steering box. I also have a friend that works at a local Ford dealer in the service department and he said he has seen two 2008 superdutys come in for steering box replacements.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Man if you're letting go of the wheel and it's pulling that hard then something is amiss in your front in, not the steering wheel or column, but definately maybe the steering box, but if the box was "tight" I would think it would make it hard to steer, not just start veering hard to one side.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Well I'm glad I decided to look around on here. There are a couple of threads with this. I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a fix?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My o4 Ram did that same thing, and it was a bad power steering pump
Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I test drove an 08 350 4x4 dually and it didn't have the problem. It could be the pump or even the gear box. I have also seen ball joints do it as well. Did you ever find out the problem?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Castor cams loose maybe?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 08 F250 is at my local dealer for this very problem. I am on my third steering box. I doubt the problem is there. This go round, I have the "death wobble" around 40 mph after they replaced the steering box.

Any answers for this yet??
Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM

I got a ford notice in the mail regarding this. All it said was to make sure the tire pressure was filled as stated on the door pillar. What a joke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.