Grinding noise when slow turning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grinding noise when slow turning

I have noticed over the past view weeks that when I take a turn slowly and gradually step on the gas my front axel area by the left wheel makes this weird grinding noise. I am not sure as to what it is or what it could be caused by?

Does anyone have any ideas? or similar issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

If the noise you are describing is similar to the noise I had its probably going to be your breaks. I had a weird noise when going slow and turning, mainly to the left. I finally decided to change my rear break pads and the noise went away. The pads looked good, but the problem was that they glazed over and were failing. When I would turn and break just a little, even a tap on the break, or accelerate the weight of the truck will apply a little pressure (best way i could describe it) and they will rub and make a "weird grinding noise".

The noise is now gone on my truck, you should check your breaks. It worked for me, never know might work for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

I get almost the same noise when going slow and turning left but I know it is coming from the front. It is really noticeable when I switch it in to 4WD, that's when it always make that noise.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Fussgus, have you checked your hub bearing, the one inside the locker to the 4x4? I had to replace mine after it was making a noise on 4x4 like you describe and eventually it locked my fourwheel drive on just that one wheel because the lock bearing eventually gave. It was a very easy replacement nothing fancy maybe 30 min to replace after buying the part. I just washed out all the shreded metal with break cleaner and been good since.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

I have not done that yet. I never got a decent reply on to what it could be so I have yet to do anything about it. BUT what you have described is giving me some hope if this is what in fact is wrong (hoping) and it wouldn't be a tough thing to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Yea, give it a go. When mine had that issue I even noticed my mileage decrease and that god awful sound coming from my right front tire. when i finally decided to check, the bearing came out in peices and had to buy a new one. I use my truck for a lot of things and I think that part did its justice after having it break at 170,xxxx+ mi.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

What all entails when replacing it? I don't really have a place to go and work on it plus it's back to being an arctic prison here again.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

if its jut the bearing, the locker switch for the 4x4 comes with bearing and If im correct, I only had to take off 3 srews to remove the part and replace it with the new one. I hope the issue with your truck is only that and nothing else. How many miles on your truck?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

About 115,3~~
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Do you offroad a lot, or drive on a lot of deep water? Im asking because I put my truck through all desert condition and muddy roads and thats what im blaming the worn bearings on my truck when it happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.