Angle on two-piece drive shaft? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angle on two-piece drive shaft?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer...but I want to make sure.

My new-to-me truck has a 6" BDS lift. I've been under it a lot lately flushing things, spraying undercoating, etc. I noticed that the 2-piec drive shaft is not even close to straight; that's what caught my eye. I thought to myself "how can that work properly like that?" I know there is probably a slight tolerance on the angle at the carrier bearing, but mine is probably a 7-8 angle off of straight.

Should this be more or less in direct line? That's what I would think at least. I do have a slight vibration at 2-5 mph, but that is about it. And it is more pronounced if I am turning during that first bit of acceleration.

I think I am going to do the washer shim experiments and then make a solid spacer when I find the right position. Any other suggestions?

Also, is that the factory carrier bearing bracket? I bought the truck with the lift, so I don't know the stock configuration.

Thanks,

MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You need carrier bearing shims. I heard you want 1/4" drop for every 1" of lift. Mine had vibration at low speeds and completely went away when I shimed it. You can use bar stock and just drill two holes in it. My 6" revtek lift came with two shims each about 3/4" thick. You want your drive shaft as straight as you can get it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 AM

Were your shims angled at all? I dropped it using 3/8" washers to see how far I would need to go.probably need a little more, I am running out of threads on the bolts and the hanger looks like it needs to angle forward a bit in order to the sit a 90 with the drive shaft.

Might look for asecond commercial shim kit.....
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My shims don't angle. The carrier bearing can pivot in the housing. Mine came with longer bolts too. Get 3/4" bar stock and longer bolts.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have seen aftermarket brackets for sale also. But I think shimming it is gonna work just as good and be a lot cheaper.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hear its like 1/4" worth of shims for every 1" of lift. Or something like that.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yep. 1/4" for every 1" of lift. Should make it nice and straight.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Ok, thanks guys!

I'm definitely in need of longer bolts. I 8 1/8" washers on each side now, and it still has a bit of vibration and the drive axle is visibly crooked. I'll have to go to 1.5" I think for my 6" lift. I suppose I need to measure my lift too....bought it lifted and I'm not sure how high it is. I thought 6", but I was looking at that "lifted 6.4L" thread and I'm not sure if it's 6" or 8"....

Do you think stainless bolts will work or should I just get the nickle plated? It's not much difference in price for two bolts. And can I just use regular hardware bolts or do I need to locate some like the originals with a tapered tip?

Hopefully Fleet Farm has some bar stock as well....otherwise I'll have to search around for that as well.

Thanks,

MT
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM

I was thinking, since this is just a spacer for mounting the bracket lower, and not really a bracket that gets much force on it, especially impact.....could I make the spacers out of extruded plastic, HDPE actually? We have 1/2" HDPE sheets at work, similar to the density of a cutting board, but thicker. Sure would be a lot easier to cut and drill!!

specs: Sheet Stock, Corrosion Resistant, HDPE, Black Color, Thickness (Decimal) 0.500 In, Width 48 In, Length 96 In, Thickness Tolerance +/-0.025 In, Width Tolerance +/-0.125 In, Length Tolerance +/-0.125 In, Min Temp Rating -58 Deg F, Max Temp 194 F, Tensile Strength 4000 PSI, Impact Strength 1.3 Lbs, Standards FDA, USDA

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM

I got my spacers made up this weekend.

Before:

after:

spacer:

I used two pieces of 1/8" aluminum to sandwich three 1/2" ish hdpe spacers and switched the bolts to 3" length.

I'll drive it for a while, but it seems to be where it needs to be.

Thanks,

MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.