Warped rotors twice in a month - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warped rotors twice in a month

I had new pads and rotors put on all the way around last month on the 8th. 2 weeks later i get the same vibration during braking from 20mph to stop.

Any ideas on what would be causing my truck to eat rotors?

Also, i recently had discount tire put on a set of wheels with a 00 offset. The right rear and left rear tires have about an inch of difference in how far they go beyond the wheel well. The right side pokes out about an inch more. I dont do anything crazy in my truck but my only guess is that the axle has shifted?

Any ideas on either issue would be great.

09 f250 4x4 KR with 20" wheels and 35x12.50 trail grapplers. 70k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

each rear side sticks out farther then the fronts or the rear left side sticks out farther then the rear right side. Is it possible that the rim is an inch bigger? ive heard of guys getting different size widths if that wheel has several sizes by accident.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fronts are even.

Putting a straight edge on the right rear fender flare down to the tire hits that tire at about an inch into the tread, an inch from the side wall.

On the driver rear the straight edge hits the very outer edge of the sidewall.

It's like the rear axle is shifted over an inch to the passenger side.

When I noticed the "different offsets" I took it back to discount tire and they pulled the wheels and all of them are the same 00 offset. Called MB wheels and they only make them in 00 offset.

It's in the shop now getting the rotors warrantied and replaced, I guess my next stop is the dealership to have them see if something back there is out of whack.

Since the truck is tuned and deleted I really REALLY hate going into the dealership.

Last time I loaded stock files from my spartan and it wouldn't start once I got it to the dealership, so I had to sit there with techs staring at me and call spartan and load up a stock hp/dpf off tune.... head honcho told me to "be more careful" and basically never even looked at my truck, just rolled it out back so it wouldn't get flagged or whatever.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You might have a bad caliper.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
You might have a bad caliper.
Agreed, I worked in a tire/brake/alignment shop for 3 years and a frozen caliper will cause a warped rotor!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

I dont know how your rear end would shift. I have heard of guys truck beds being off center a little. and thats in brand new trucks. Its rare, but it happens as well and you wouldnt really notice until you really looked. In your wheel does it come in the same Offset, but different widths? Im sure you already thought of that, but hey it could happen. It could be something as crazy as one of your wheels wasnt machined down like it was supposed to be or a spacer by chance behind the one wheel....just throwing some BS down.

Are you towing a lot with your truck? If not....ive got nothin....if you are and not using trailer brakes you will warp rotors as well. i did this on all my f150s
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Our dump truck eats brakes because it's overloaded. So either your overloading it or a frozen caliper. Is it all the rotors warped or just one. That should tell ya
Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM

I have seen a few frozen stick calipers ,, the fords work great at backing off a tad when not being applied I have 85 k on mine and i run 1000 lbs of tools
Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ran a brake shop for 5 years... hitting something with the wheel can bend the hubs, have the hubs all of the way around checked for warpage. over torquing the wheels can cause rotor warpage. if it was due to heat, you would smell it and feel excessive heat coming from one (or more) of the wheels. if it is heat, you could have a bad master cylinder, proportioning valve, hose crimped or internal obstruction, seized caliper slide hardware (very common on these and just takes a little rust removal and grease to fix) etc... did the shop machine the "new" rotors? it is very easy to machine a warp into a brand new rotor. if they just machined your old or used rotors then once a rotor is warped it will always rewarp very easily... good luck.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also, never go through a car wash or spray the wheels with water while the brakes are hot... used to see quite a few rotors warped or crystalized due to this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.