Front End Vibration and Shaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Callahan
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front End Vibration and Shaking

I had the worst case of front end vibration and shaking I have ever seen on the way home tonight. It was so bad that it pulled me into the other lane and I almost hit the guard rail. I was on the interstate doing 70 mph. I had to slam on breaks and pull over. I looked all under the truck and could not find any signs that there was something wrong. I called the ford dealership and they told me that it might be the stock steering stabilizer going bad. He stated that this was common in the 4x4 models. Has anyone else heard of this or had the same problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have bad death wobble and it's from bushing play in the track bar. I added an aftermarket Bilstein steering stabilizer in place of the OEM unit which masked the problem for awhile. Thought that was my issue as the dealership said I was within spec for the front end. On my next visit for regular maintenance, was told I had play in the track bar bushing. Bought an aftermarket heavy duty adjustable track bar and drag link from Trevor at PMF. Also bought a dual steering stabilizer with Bilstein shocks. Just waiting for the dual steering stabilizer to come in and then, I'm installing everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Callahan
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Bought an aftermarket heavy duty adjustable track bar and drag link from Trevor at PMF. Also bought a dual steering stabilizer with Bilstein shocks. Just waiting for the dual steering stabilizer to come in and then, I'm installing everything.
What did the track bar and drag link run? I already have dual Fadtech stabilizers. I have an 8" lift if that has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The drag link and track bar set me back close to $1000. Not cheap but I'm hoping that this will solve my death wobble issues. Was also really impressed with Trevor's customer service and his patience with someone that knows little about this stuff. My dual steering stabilizer showed up this week and am hoping to get my truck in ASAP to get all these parts put on before doing anymore damage to any other steering components. I'll keep you posted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,094
Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
I have bad death wobble and it's from bushing play in the track bar. I added an aftermarket Bilstein steering stabilizer in place of the OEM unit which masked the problem for awhile. Thought that was my issue as the dealership said I was within spec for the front end. On my next visit for regular maintenance, was told I had play in the track bar bushing. Bought an aftermarket heavy duty adjustable track bar and drag link from Trevor at PMF. Also bought a dual steering stabilizer with Bilstein shocks. Just waiting for the dual steering stabilizer to come in and then, I'm installing everything.
DO you have a part number for the bilstein OEM replacement? I thought bilstein didnt make an OEM replacement for our trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,560
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
DO you have a part number for the bilstein OEM replacement? I thought bilstein didnt make an OEM replacement for our trucks.
OE Bilstein 5100 series replacement steering dampener part number is 24-196284.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,094
Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
OE Bilstein 5100 series replacement steering dampener part number is 24-196284.
Thanks Trevor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Callahan
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well just got my truck back from ford. They said that all three stabilizer shocks had gone bad. The stock one I had to buy because it was not covered under warranty and the two Fabtech ones I have to send back so that their lifetime warranty will cover them. What a damn mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Superman View Post
Well just got my truck back from ford. They said that all three stabilizer shocks had gone bad. The stock one I had to buy because it was not covered under warranty and the two Fabtech ones I have to send back so that their lifetime warranty will cover them. What a damn mess.
My Bilstein 5100 that replaced my OEM steering stabilizer is currently leaking. Waiting for a warranty replacement to show up. Should be here this week. Then, I can get everything installed and aligned. Think the leak has to do with the play in my track bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 978
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was it after you hit a bridge or some bumps in the road

IF it was ive been battling this for a while. So far new steering shock and drag links. Still didnt fix it. SO it back in the shop again. Service thinks it may be the steering gear. I didnt want to mask my problem with stabalizers that werent normally on the truck. I will have them later, but as of now under warranty they can deal with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors