What did I break?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What did I break??

Last week, a Duramax challenged me at a stoplight. I should have let him go, but I did the stupid thing, put my truck in 4hi and went for it, leaving the intersection, and the Dmax in a cloud of black smoke. Problem is, now my 4wd doesn't work unless I manually lock the hubs (which I've never had to do before). Also it looks like some kind of seal popped out. I am including a picture, can anyone identify the problem?? Any input is helpful..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM

When you took off in 4 high did you hear anything pop at all?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure about your 4wd it is vacuum operated so you might want to check the pump for them which I think is on the pass. side inner fender. Or you could have one hub working and one not, with the auto hub, which would act like its not in 4wd but when you manually lock them it would work. Also that seal is just a dust seal. Its a common thing for them to pop out like that, its not really needed it just helps to protect the inner axle seals. Mine have been out like that for over 30k miles with no problems. Sorry I couldn't shine more light on your 4wd, somebody will I'm sure.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney511 View Post
When you took off in 4 high did you hear anything pop at all?
There might have been a pop, but I cannot say for certain.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Addict View Post
Not sure about your 4wd it is vacuum operated so you might want to check the pump for them which I think is on the pass. side inner fender. Or you could have one hub working and one not, with the auto hub, which would act like its not in 4wd but when you manually lock them it would work. Also that seal is just a dust seal. Its a common thing for them to pop out like that, its not really needed it just helps to protect the inner axle seals. Mine have been out like that for over 30k miles with no problems. Sorry I couldn't shine more light on your 4wd, somebody will I'm sure.
Is there any way to test the hubs? I had these installed by the dealer about a year ago.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsnbsaoa View Post
There might have been a pop, but I cannot say for certain.
I was in a 7.3 that blew both its hubs upfront. They exploded and that was LOUD. You could lock it in 4 high and have someone stand outside to watch what happens. But I would check vacuum like the other guy said.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 AM

So im positive that the 4wd is working with the hubs locked, just not when they are unlocked. Does that mean that my hubs are ok? How would I go about testing the vaccuum system? Everything is still hooked up.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To get your 4wd to work you have to manually lock the hubs in, right? Do you know if your front driveshaft is spinning when you put it in 4wd? If the shaft is spinning, but 4wd is not working when you shift into it without manually locking the hubs then yes I would assume its a vacuum problem. I don't know how to diagnose it those just have had a similar problem on an excursion, but I just got out and locked the hubs after that. You do have the shift on the fly 4wd with the knob on the dash, correct?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Addict View Post
To get your 4wd to work you have to manually lock the hubs in, right? Do you know if your front driveshaft is spinning when you put it in 4wd? If the shaft is spinning, but 4wd is not working when you shift into it without manually locking the hubs then yes I would assume its a vacuum problem. I don't know how to diagnose it those just have had a similar problem on an excursion, but I just got out and locked the hubs after that. You do have the shift on the fly 4wd with the knob on the dash, correct?
Correct, I have to manually lock the hubs in (the turn without a problem), but it does not work in the "auto" position.

I do have the shift on the fly. I will check out and see if the drive shaft is spinning or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4wd, problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.