Front Diff Grinding Noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Front Diff Grinding Noise?

We got a big snow fall last night so I through the ole 6.4 in 4x4 ( first time I've used it, just bought the truck a month ago) and I noticed it was making a very noticeable grinding or binding noise.

the 4X4 engages beautifully and works great, except for the nasty noise it makes, and I'm very concerned.

I did test the 4x4 when I bought the truck but I only gave it a jolt to make sure it worked, I didn't notice the noise..

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope its not baffed.

p.s. it makes the noise if the truck locking hubs are locked or on auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Similar grinding noise, subscribed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Any updates on this issue? I used 4x4 high a few times in the past couple of weeks in the snow. I get a grinding, metal-on-metal, noise when I let off the the gas and coast. This is most noticeable at speeds in the 30-40mph range. Once I press the gas again, the noise goes away. It does not make this sound in 2wd, so it is not a brake issue.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mthompson; 02-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Im battling a grinding noise myself...can you feel it in the cab at all? Does it do it in 2wd?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Front Diff Grinding Noise?

Like this?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Any updates on this issue? I used 4x4 high a few times in the past couple of weeks in the snow. I get a grinding, metal-on-metal, noise when I let off the the gas and coast. This is most noticeable at speeds in the 30-40mph range. Once I press the gas again, the noise goes away. It does not make this sound in 2wd, so it is not a brake issue.

Any ideas?
Definitely a lash issue. If it's under warranty, it should be covered. If not, take it to a driveline/differential shop. It's a pretty specialized skill to set gears properly and it can be quite time consuming.

Not sure about the others since I'm assuming it's similar to what is occurring in the video.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Definitely a lash issue. If it's under warranty, it should be covered. If not, take it to a driveline/differential shop. It's a pretty specialized skill to set gears properly and it can be quite time consuming.

Not sure about the others since I'm assuming it's similar to what is occurring in the video.
I'm definitely not getting a noise like that video. Mine is more like the sound of a knife edge on a sharpening wheel...constantly, steady "shhhhhh"... And only in 4wd, only when coasting.

I'm waiting on my main drivetrain guy to come back from back surgery. I don't know jack about back-lash or other differential gear settings. It was suggested that I may have bad carrier bearings, because when I press the skinny pedal the yolk or bearing sort of spins tight and and the noise stops. (?)

I will let you guys know after I get it looked at.

MT
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Check the driveline to the front diff, might be warped or just worn.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Had a simmilar issue, took it to Ford and was expecting the worst. new hubs and $1k repair bill. The tech said he pulled the hubs apart and everything was bone dry. He greased it up and put it back together. Truck has been quiet since and that was 2 years ago. Cost me $90.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Mine makes that same noise as in the vid but not as loud. It started as a squeal after mudding one day and hitting a rut kinda hard "at least thats what I'm thinking did it"...I bought my 08 used w/ 100K and that was the first time out mudding kinda hard. Now that the squealing has gone away it's making that same noise. It won't do it on a lift only on the ground. It has gotten a little worse being I've had it at the track and put about 10 runs through it. I was afraid it might have been the transfer case. Guess I'll pop the diff cover off and see if there is any damage and get back to ya'll. Kinda pisses me off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.