I'm about to "deal with" my locking hubs. Opinions welcome. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm about to "deal with" my locking hubs. Opinions welcome.

I have researched and read what I could about the problems with the hubs - seals, vacuum, seizing, etc. so I do know a bit of background information. Any links or additional information would be helpful.

I'm in a 2008 Crewcab PSD and now that winter is here, I've noticed that my 4X4 is acting up. I'm about to go outside and test what's happening. Without extensive testing, I notice two things:

1. My right front locking hub won't turn. It's stuck in the AUTO position.

2. My left front hub will turn, but when it's set in the automatic position, and the right is in lock, the 4X4 won't engage using the internal switch. I'm assuming that because they are both set in different positions it won't engage from inside.

My Plan

I'm planning on going outside and checking a few things:

1. Seeing if I can get the "seized" hub to turn using some lubrication.

2. Turning the key on to see if I can hear the electric locking motor.

3. Locking both hubs and seeing if I can then use 4X4.

Once I do that, I'll report back and start gathering information.

If anyone can chime in, I'm all ears.

Thanks guys...

PS - I will continue to post all the way through my journey so others can learn.

Last edited by scotiadallas; 12-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Update # 1

Ok, I just walked in.

It's the driver's side hub that is stuck in AUTO. The passenger side is turning freely.

With the passenger side hub in the AUTO position (this puts them both in AUTO), the 4X4 does not work using the inner switch.

If I switch the passenger side hub to LOCK, then the 4X4 system works as it should using the switch inside.

What I'm planning on doing about it:

I was going to take off the driver side wheel and attempt to get into the hub assembly to figure out why it's seized. If anyone has ever done that or know of a thread or a service manual that I can use, please let me know. Right now I'm going in blind and I'm not overly confident. They could be very simple or very complicated, I have no idea.

Question:

I was going to leave passenger hub in the AUTO position and if I need 4X4, I was going to manually lock them until I figure out what's going on. If this a fair, way to approach it? Would it cause trouble if the driver hub is in AUTO and the passenger hub is in LOCK?

Thanks!

D
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiadallas View Post
Ok, I just walked in.

It's the driver's side hub that is stuck in AUTO. The passenger side is turning freely.

With the passenger side hub in the AUTO position (this puts them both in AUTO), the 4X4 does not work using the inner switch.

If I switch the passenger side hub to LOCK, then the 4X4 system works as it should using the switch inside.

What I'm planning on doing about it:

I was going to take off the driver side wheel and attempt to get into the hub assembly to figure out why it's seized. If anyone has ever done that or know of a thread or a service manual that I can use, please let me know. Right now I'm going in blind and I'm not overly confident. They could be very simple or very complicated, I have no idea.

Question:

I was going to leave passenger hub in the AUTO position and if I need 4X4, I was going to manually lock them until I figure out what's going on. If this a fair, way to approach it? Would it cause trouble if the driver hub is in AUTO and the passenger hub is in LOCK?

Thanks!

D
I am working on switching mine to Manual hubs, from what I know there are some relays and vacuum lines/seal involved with the ESOF hubs. the relay or the seal could be bad in addition to the hub switch being stuck. Pull the hub cap off and you should be able to loosen the switch a little light grease will help. As to the balance of the system, seals relays lack of use are all suspects. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Hub

I'm going to go out now and see if I can loosen that hub. I'm going to spray a bit of Liquid Wrench around it, let it soak in and then see what's what...

Hopefully it will come loose.

Can I ride around with both hubs in the LOCK position? What are the ramifications of this?

D
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Little discripion of how the systems works first.
1 Transfercase selects and applies power to the front axle in 4H and 4L. In 2H the Transfercase is disengaged the power to the front axle giving you two wheel drive or just the rear axle.
Hubs engage or disengage the front "wheels" ( one hub per wheel) to the front axle.
If only one hub engaged, no 4 wheel drive, you need both left and right hub engaged for the system to function in 4H or4L.
Engaging the hubs in 2H will only turn the front axle as a result of the front wheels rolling Not in 4wheel drive.

Warning if yoru rig will not shift out of 4H do nto run the locked hubs on a solid dry surface, damage to the drive train will result.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Update # 3

Ok, here's what I've got.

As suggested, with a little bit of lubricant and the help of a tool, the driver's hub would turn. It was in AUTO and I left it there once I worked in the lube. It's still not easy to turn by hand but it is possible.

Questions:

1. I noticed 3 torx screws on the hub, can I take these off and get at the hub to lubricate it properly?

2. Can I take these off with the wheel still on?

3. Should I bother?

D
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
Little discripion of how the systems works first.
1 Transfercase selects and applies power to the front axle in 4H and 4L. In 2H the Transfercase is disengaged the power to the front axle giving you two wheel drive or just the rear axle.
Hubs engage or disengage the front "wheels" ( one hub per wheel) to the front axle.
If only one hub engaged, no 4 wheel drive, you need both left and right hub engaged for the system to function in 4H or4L.
Engaging the hubs in 2H will only turn the front axle as a result of the front wheels rolling Not in 4wheel drive.
Gotcha, thanks for the information.

Given this information, I'm confused as to what's happening with my 4X4.

When both hubs are on AUTO, and I have the internal switch (transfer case switch) to 4H, I get no power going to the front wheels.

When I got outside and turned the passenger side hub to lock, I was getting (what I thought) 4X4. I suspect that I was getting only the passenger side wheel turning under power and the driver's side (stuck in AUTO) was not turning?

I don't understand why when both hubs are in AUTO I get nothing. When I put the passenger hub in LOCK I'm assuming I get 3 wheel drive?

Maybe, based on this information, my AUTO hubs are not working on either side and then both have to be in LOCK?

D
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiadallas View Post
Gotcha, thanks for the information.

Given this information, I'm confused as to what's happening with my 4X4.

When both hubs are on AUTO, and I have the internal switch (transfer case switch) to 4H, I get no power going to the front wheels. Auto lock in thru a soloniod on each side, with what you are discribing the huds have not been serviced for some time, the solonoid or relay might be bad, or sinc eone hub doesn't turn, the internals need to be cleaned and lubricated, also there is a seal that can leak, is the vaccum pump runnign constantly? or at all?

When I got outside and turned the passenger side hub to lock, I was getting (what I thought) 4X4. I suspect that I was getting only the passenger side wheel turning under power and the driver's side (stuck in AUTO) was not turning? Quick check to see if the hubs are locked in, gert under the truck and try to rotate the U jiont at the knckle (one on each side) with the hub locked the u-joint should not turn with the wheel on the ground. same procedure for the stuck "auto Hub"

I don't understand why when both hubs are in AUTO I get nothing. When I put the passenger hub in LOCK I'm assuming I get 3 wheel drive? No, without a locking front axle you have two wheel drive. All the power goes to teh unlocked hub.

Maybe, based on this information, my AUTO hubs are not working on either side and then both have to be in LOCK? Lock both hubs, and check the u-jionts on each side if they do not turn you are good to go.

PS remove the Torx screws and you can get to the dial and lube.

Cheers

D
Hope this helps some
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
Hope this helps some
It does help! I'm going outside now...

Here's another thread I've been following and participating in with a similar topic:

Automatic locking hubs
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

So with both of them set to auto you should be able to swith to 4H with the swith in the cab. You just cant get it into 4L without manualy locking the hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.