Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help!

I was driving to work a week ago Monday and my truck decided it was done. The front driveshaft u joint broke taking the transfer case, fuel lines, and brake lines with it. What do I do? According to the Ford dealer since the truck has 90k miles they can not help me with the problem. I was quoted $8500 by the dealer to fix the truck. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help!-282.jpg   Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help!-283.jpg   Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help!-286.jpg   Driveline on the side of the highway....need Help!-290.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That must have been a scary ride!!!
Who services the truck or do you???
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you have your hubs manually locked in?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Winning DUHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
Did you have your hubs manually locked in?
Ill second that, If your hubs are the ford auto lockers, maybe they failed causing it to lock in, spinning your front DS, and finally had enough spinning at 80 mph or whatever to give out...The front DS shouldnt be spinning unless the hubs failed causing it to lock atleast one wheel in. But if they both failed you would have felt the tire scrub while turning.....hmmm, food for thought. My best guess for you is to hit the junkyard, you can fix that stuff for way less than 8500. Just shop around

Sorry for the loss!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM

ouch hope you can get it fixed for cheaper then that
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Did it make any weird noises when going down the road?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM

Man I hate to see that...

Did you get it fixed?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to skipnay
I would like to know what else happened!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip4tx View Post
I was driving to work a week ago Monday and my truck decided it was done. The front driveshaft u joint broke taking the transfer case, fuel lines, and brake lines with it. What do I do? According to the Ford dealer since the truck has 90k miles they can not help me with the problem. I was quoted $8500 by the dealer to fix the truck. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Without amplifing information as to how it went south, My thought is the U-Joint broke due to age and the front end driving it. Just got tired.

I have the auto hubs on my rig as well and had them stay locked in for days. IMHO not a very good or relaible system. I do notice the fuel mileage go way down with the front end draging a hub or staying locked in.

My U-joints are greasable and get greases on a regular basis. I can't remember if my 05 350 had serviceable joints I am thinking not.

Sorry to hear of your problem, check with parts houses and yards for parts to save a little on the price if you do it yourself. Ford will warrentee their work for what it is worth.

Cheers

Last edited by MD05; 02-09-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-SC-Owner View Post
Ill second that, If your hubs are the ford auto lockers, maybe they failed causing it to lock in, spinning your front DS, and finally had enough spinning at 80 mph or whatever to give out...The front DS shouldnt be spinning unless the hubs failed causing it to lock atleast one wheel in. But if they both failed you would have felt the tire scrub while turning.....hmmm, food for thought. My best guess for you is to hit the junkyard, you can fix that stuff for way less than 8500. Just shop around

Sorry for the loss!
U-Joint shouldn't fail just because the front end is turning, I have left my trucks "locked in" for the winter without issue. I have had jionts fail due to age, abuse and lack of service. If you drive your rig every day you should notice a change if something is going south, a different noise, vibration, feel. This should trigger a "What is that" response and start looking to find the issue before it goes ballistic.

As to the $8500.00 bill, more than half of that is labor my bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.