Tire pressure sensors and wandering steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire pressure sensors and wandering steering

Hey guys, my 08 f-250 already had the steering gear replaced once by the dealer. Now the steering is really loose again so it's gotta go back in to them. I've got a leveling kit with 37's. The truck was stock when they fixed it the first time. I'm nervous to take the truck in with those tires on because ford will probably say the tires caused it. I have my stock rims and tires mounted in my garage, just don't have any pressure sensors for them. Will it send up a red flag if I put the stockers back on with no sensors? Or should I try to buy a set of sensors before I go in to the dealer? Anyone know where to get some cheap if needed? Thanks.
Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sensors arnt cheap. i work for toyota and ours are about $170 a piece. plus then you have to pay someone to break the bead, install the sensor, and program all the sensors to your truck. so itll get pretty pricey. even aftermarket sensors will probably run you $100 a piece plus all the labor. your better off to just throw the stock wheels and tires on and bring it in that way. thats what id do at least.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Wow, that's steep. Will it be a check engine light or will it just have a message on the driver info center? Anyone else had any problems with taking their truck in for steering/suspension issues with larger tires still on the truck?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well it wont be a check engine light. on toyotas its a little pic of a tire with an "!" in the middle. its an idiot light. i dont know about your 2008 but it might say "check tire pressures" or it might have one of thoes idiot lights. it really means nothing to us as techs. if the light is on we fill all the tires and check to see if the tires have sensors. (if it has a rubber valve stem, then theres no sensor in most cars. sensors are all metal) so we usually just note it that the car doesnt have sensors and the TPMS light is on just to cover our ***, but we dont look into it.

also as a tech, i can see where they "could" give you problems because of the larger tires, since the trucks steering/suspension components were designed for the stock tires, not 37's, which is alot bigger than stock. the 37's put alot more stress on the components. wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints especially. plus it all depends on the tech working on the car. you could get someone who is all by the rules and will go talk to his manager that the truck has bigger tires and you could get someone who is chill and just replaces it.

Last edited by skidoo hauler; 05-11-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.