Rear pinion seal leaking? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear pinion seal leaking?

I just noticed this morning, oil leaking from my rear pinion seal where it meets the rear axle housing, my truck is an 2008 with 54000 miles on her, is that normal on these trucks? I have a h&s black maxx and 5" flo-pro dpf delete exhaust that i put on 8000 miles ago, is it leaking now because im getting axlewrap with the extra horsepower? Im not that hard on her, any help would be great, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

I noticed mine was leaking at 62,000 miles. 2,000 miles after the drive train warranty expired. After cleaning it appeared that is was a very slow leak.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I noticed mine leaking at about the same miles, took it in and had a pinion seal replaced, and fortunately the tech changed the diff fluid and saw that way too much metal was on the drain plug. He then opened the rear end and then discovered that the gears were set way way way too tight, and that the ring and pinion had been riding all the way together without any tollerance! Ended up getting the gears, bearings, limited slip clutches and seals all replaced...some others have had the same problem on here, especially with the earlier 08's. Mine was a dually by the way with 4:10's...So get that seal replaced, check the fill plug for metal and keep an eye on it! your warranty is done at 60k for the powertrain (engine 100k)...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I have the same issue: Leaking pinion seal. 98k miles. Is this an easy fix I can do myself? Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear pinion seal leaking?-photo-1.jpg   Rear pinion seal leaking?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveDave View Post
I think I have the same issue: Leaking pinion seal. 98k miles. Is this an easy fix I can do myself? Thanks for any help!
You can do it yourself. Torquing the pinion nut to specs might be a little hard without the truck on a lift.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks, I think I'll give it a try.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@bravedave. Let us know how it goes. I've got the same thing going on. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Any idea what shops are charging for this, NonDealer shops that is. I don't feel like putting my exhaust back on and untunning etc just for something like this.

I was out trying to get my fill bolt out to check the fluid level and it's pretty siezed up so I started spraying with PB in hopes it breaks free, or I will have to use a breaker bar to check. But I'd rather not just keep adding fluid when needed vs getting the seal repleaced.

One other question, I have larger blocks with 1.5in added in the rear, is this just going to continue to happen since the angle is slightly different. They are angled blocks to keep the normal angle or close to, but is this an ongoing issue now that I put in slightly larger blocks?

I watched some Youtube videos and know I can handle the job, but I don't have all the kind of tools and lifts around me and would have to head home for a weekend and use a bubs shop, whic I don't want to do.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Mine is doing this also. 66000 miles. Doesn't look like too hard a job. 4 bolts that hold the flange on, then what? Drop it, pry the old one out install new?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM

Just had mine done and did some reviewing of it on youtube, main concern is you need to get the main bolt torqued correctly or you can mess up your gears pretty good. Mine needed a new pinion flange and few other parts. All covered under warranty. Think it's pretty easy from the Youtube videos if you have the right stuff to do it. I wasn't about to mess with mine and was quoted 250 for the job from the dealer, or 150 from a diff shop. I would have paid the 150 anyday to save me time and headache, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.