Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Torqshift Tranny

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Angry Hillbilly 
#1 ·
I need some quick help, I just took my 08 F350 to the Ford dealership to service the tranny. When I got it back, I drove about 6 miles and it overheated. Any thoughts why?

The mechaninc said that they no longer use the "Exchange machine" for changing the fluid in the torqshift, is this true? He said that they dumped the fluid, and put new "Mercon SP" back in, that's it, then charged my 175 bucks. Does this seem right?

#2 ·
There's a Thermostatically controlled cooler on the 6.4's 5R110, that makes it very difficult to exchange the fluid using a conventional machine. Typically I do pan services, change both filters (if equipped) and fill with fresh oil.

You say the TRANS overheated or the truck did? Seems to me that if it overheated after only 6 miles, it didn't get a road test after the service, because they would have noticed that.

Did you check the fluid level? Perhaps it was low? Also -- the trans should have been serviced with Mercon LV -- that is the replacement fluid for SP now.

#3 ·
Mercon LV replaced SP, like Hillbilly said, but there is nothing wrong with SP if thats what they used. Surely it wouldnt make it over heat.

I just got my trans filters replaced (dropped pan) and they also performed a fluid exchange, using the machine. I witnessed it, so im quite sure they still use it..lol.

#4 · (Edited)
Only reason I mention they SHOULD HAVE used LV over SP, is general safe work practices. If you repair a TorqShift under warranty now, and put SP in it, on the workorder, SP is billed out, your warranty claim goes Boiiiiing! :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.