Power Steering whine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
I wanna go fast!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering whine

Just curious as to if anyone else has a power steering whine? Checked fluid level and all is good. Are these prone to failure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 F-350 6.4L, KR 4X4, outfitted by South Texas Outfitters, its stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ Spartan and KEM
  • RIP: 95 F-350 Powerstroke, 4X4, 5 Spd, CC, LB, 4" on 35" BFG AT, DI 4 Bank, 4" pipe, DIY Tymar, Ranch Hands
  • SOLD: 2004.5 Cummins, 4X4, Billet DTT, FASS, TST, SMARTY, Flux, Helix, 2-CP3, 2 Turbos, 5" pipe. (893 on fuel )
  • 2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax, EFI by PBD, Suncoast.
PBD Diesel Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

every ford i have ever owned has had a power steering whine but no failure.its just a ford thing

Patrick
TAPS Historian

08 6.4L ECSB

S&B intake,H&S Black Maxx,5" Pipe,Trac. Bars

13.77@100.63

OIF 07-08 16 months OIF 10/OND 10-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Tech Mag
All you need is a little knowledge,the right tools, and a buddy's truck to practice on.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

You can always tell it's a Ford because you can hear the dang Power Steering whining. I think it's easier to hear on the new diesels due to their being so quiet compared to ones in the past.

2011 F350 Lariat SRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6.7 H&S Mini Maxx DPF Delete EGR Delete running 265/70/19.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
Chevy comercials are like OBAMA, ALL B.S. over promise and under deliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor73402 View Post
This stuff isn't as simple as tuning your TiVo to record your Jerry Springer re-runs while your out cruising Wal-mart parking lot for transexual hookers.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtbily
I have replace my old cause it was leaking like swiss boat but it didnt whine but my new one sounds like I'm skinning a cat alive everytime I brake or turn. The parts store said they would give me a new one but I run the risk of it doing the same thing

02 7.3
zoodad, foil delete, 2x12s, 6" BW flares
6" black crome aussie stacks, 8" lift,
18" mazzi w/38"mtz, superchip,
smoked cab lights, driveway stainer mod

post #5 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Check the quality of the power steering fluid, make sure some jackass lube jockey didn't fill the PS with washer fluid.

Ford Senior Diesel Technician
2008 F-350 4x4 Off Road 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Could the brake booster be bad? Mine started to whine when i hit the brakes and its really hard to turn the wheel if the truck isn't moving.

2011 6.7 F350 - Dads
2009 6.4 F350 - Brothers
2007 6.0 F350 - Mine
1997 7.3 F250 - Farm Truck

post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

im not sure that the brake booster and ps is connected.i could be wrong though.wont be the first time.

Patrick
TAPS Historian

08 6.4L ECSB

S&B intake,H&S Black Maxx,5" Pipe,Trac. Bars

13.77@100.63

OIF 07-08 16 months OIF 10/OND 10-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Tech Mag
All you need is a little knowledge,the right tools, and a buddy's truck to practice on.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtbily
The ps pump is connected to the booster via a hydro-boost line to assit with brakeing while towing but even if your not towing it still runs off the ps pump which puts more of a work load on the pump itself thats why they these thing whine like they when braking or turning if your having problems turning stock tires you might have air your lines it can happen if drive on a steep enough angle and your fluid is low

02 7.3
zoodad, foil delete, 2x12s, 6" BW flares
6" black crome aussie stacks, 8" lift,
18" mazzi w/38"mtz, superchip,
smoked cab lights, driveway stainer mod

post #9 of 11 Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine is whinning but idk what it is its only whenever the throttle increases
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same whining/drone sound on my 2010 had started a couple weeks ago. It gets very loud when i press the brakes. Also, the brake pedal seems to punch back when I press the brake pedal now. Think this is related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode