Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front End U Joint/Wheel Bearing Noise/Loose?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I used to be an apprentice auto tech a few or more years back and I can't seem to figure this noise out. It's on a 2009 F-350

When I'm driving at any speed I hear a metal like noise constantly at any speed from the front left axle area. When I went to check the front end i noticed the hubs were locked so I unlocked them and left them in auto. (shouldn't be a big issue) but I haven't got the chance to take it for a spin and see if that was the cause. The front end (left) seemed solid, however; there was very minimal play left to right but nothing up and down and all the ball joints seemed tight (I suspect a tie rod as I just replaced the track bar) The right side felt the exact same except the lower ball joint was obviously shot.

Next I tried to check the U Joints and they felt like they were loose but hard to tell because the shaft going into the hub had some play (about 1/8 inch up and down) on both sides. Is this normal or do you think my wheel bearings are shot? Again all the wheels felt tight and not as noticeable as a worn wheel bearing normally is. Mind you I've only worked on half tonnes and not solid axle front ends.

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Just like zmann said. I will be doing mine right quick as I have a big off road huntin trip comin up in a month. Gotta be confident in my 4 wheel system.

#6 ·
I double checked it earlier this week and you can definitely feel some play left/right up/down so now I'm confident its the wheel bearing. The noise I hear has to be related. Other side is tight, just a lower BJ loose.

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.