'03 Instrument Cluster goes dead - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry '03 Instrument Cluster goes dead

I have an '03 F250 Super Duty 6.0 liter Diesel. The instrument cluster went dead, all gauges. Took it back to dealer and they replaced a fuse. 2 weeks later the same thing happens, instrument cluster goes dead, all gauges. Truck still drives fine when this happens. What could be causing this fuse to keep blowing? Only thing not stock on this is a brand new Prodigy electronic brake controller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 AM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
It could be the wires in your shifter shorting out. Assuming yours in an auto of course. Take the covers off the steering column and check the wires going thru the shifter at the point near the pivot point of the shifter.

I hope that makes sense, its 4:15 am where i am and im really tired.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking 03' Instrument Cluster

Yah, that makes sense and that's what we've read from several different people. The dealer tried to blame the brake controller, and the 1st time I didn't argue to hard as I didn't have all the facts. This time I'm going in armed and this problem will be resolved and they will absorb the cost :-D. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM
PMR = JUNK

The brake controller shouldn't cause that. That should be on a fuse of its own, so even if that fuse did pop, the only thing affected would be the trailer brakes and the controller.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What number was the fuse that blew?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

'03 Instrument Cluster

It was fuse #46. Ours is a little odd, our fuse numbers do not correlate to the diagram in the Owner's manual. By most accounts it should have been fuse #45. On our '03 #45 is open, and it's #46 that blew. We did argue with the dealership that the only fuse the brake controller should have blown was the one controlling it and the trailer brakes. They grudgingly gave in but this time I know what I'm talking about and it will get fix right if I have to go there and supervise it myself :-). It's just irritating that we have to do all the research to diagnose a problem they are refusing to admit exists. I'm no mechanic, I should not have to tell them exactly where the problem is, that's what they supposedly get paid for.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Jake

Jake thanks for the input. The dealership again failed to find the problem despite the fact that I told them exactly what to take apart and exactly where to look, and what to look for. They did nothing, shifted it a few times and claimed there was no problem and tried to bill us. My husband took the case off and found the bare wires exactly where you said, we can't thank you enough. We put some red electrical tape around it for now and I will be contacting the dealership and demanding a more permanent fix. I figured with the red tape they can't miss it lol.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezgie View Post
Jake thanks for the input. The dealership again failed to find the problem despite the fact that I told them exactly what to take apart and exactly where to look, and what to look for. They did nothing, shifted it a few times and claimed there was no problem and tried to bill us. My husband took the case off and found the bare wires exactly where you said, we can't thank you enough. We put some red electrical tape around it for now and I will be contacting the dealership and demanding a more permanent fix. I figured with the red tape they can't miss it lol.
Your welcome. On mine I just taped the wires up individually where they wore through, then put a few extra layers of tape over it to protect it. Been fine ever since.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2003 f-250 SD, instrument cluster failure

To all on this post/thread, WELL DONE!!!!!!!! I too had the same problem with instrument cluster failure and started wading through the service manual. On a hunch, I came to this forum and typed in instrument cluster and ureka. #46 fuse was blown, the tow/haul wires through the shift arm were chaffed through. All fixed now and I never even thought about the dealer (well a little maybe). I owe a fast turn on this repair to you.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, WELL DONE!! I have a '04 Excursion, and fuse 45 would blow intermittently (every few weeks), and we'd lose the instrument panel. Other times the battery would run down.

I will try to attach pictures I took showing the short; it was a very small area where the insulation was rubbed through, with only two tiny strands of the wire shining brightly in the flashlight.

To get to it I had to remove the plastic covers on the steering column. To remove the top cover you have to remove the ignition switch key assembly: use the key to turn the switch "on" (not start), push up on the pin release that is on the underside of the ignition switch while pulling the key assembly out.

I just taped the cable for now and tried to relieve the tension where it rubs. Problem fixed!
Attached Thumbnails
'03 Instrument Cluster goes dead-intermittent-short-notes-1.jpg   '03 Instrument Cluster goes dead-intermittent-short-notes-2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.