PLEASE HELP! sluggish with no power when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP! sluggish with no power when cold

I am a first time diesel owner,and I'm not a tech by any means,so I need you guys help to diagnose the prob.
04 f-250 sd fx4 cc sb
6.0 w/edge juice w/attitude
140,000 miles

Here is the problem,my truck is the most cold hearted sluggish thing I've ever seen.It has to be plugged in overnight starting at 50 or so degrees ,and then let warmed upfor about 10 mins.If I don't let it warm up long enough it will not accelerate at all and has absolutely no power.It doesn't smoke bad and once warm it runs and idles great w/ excellent pickup and power.

The jobsite I'm working on right now lets us park in parking garage,that is a little warmer than the outside temps (about 60-65 inside the garage),friday after work I start my truck and let it idle for 5 mins, and then took off,there is a slight incline to leave the garage (about a 20 degree) and my truck couldn't make it up so I had to back down and wait for it to warm up some more.I could understand if it was 10 -20 degrees but it was 65 degrees and had only sat 8 hours since I got to work.

I don't know if it's the injectors or glow plugs or what,It has done this since I bought it 2 yrs ago,before it had a programmer on it .And I don't have any problems in the summer ,wich is good cuz in st louis summer is 5-6 months long.

please help,
JASON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Dr. of Linemantology

same sluggish 6.0 here

i have the exact same cold start-up problems. if you don't let it warm up for 10-15 mins. it will barely move on flat grade. when mine starts up it sounds so loud and will not idle up like it used to. the sound is like a knocking sound. when it runs for a while it runs just fine; poiwer idle acceleration engine sound. its like a doctor jeckle/ mr.hyde truck. it an 04 SD 6.0L diesel 4x4 4 dr. lwb duelly. i pull a 32' rv all across the country in all conditions and that motor or truck has never failed . it has ran for days an pulled tons endlessly. it was made to work. i have keep clean fuyel in it and changed oil and filters religiously. i guess they all have to have a little something go wrong. i read about these egr problems. i wonder if that could be problem. i also took and changed the flex fit rubbers on the cold air induction and found black oil(not much) but a trace in the pipe coming from turbo. What is that? That can't be normal. i'm having problems with dealers. evey one i go to doesn't fix problem or they say its not covered under warranty. i have 60k miles and it shouldn't run as horrible asit does now. ANY HELP PLEASE. Im near palm springs, ca
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SAME HERE

BUT THIS IS OK. SHE IS IN A SAFE MODE UNTILL SHE REACHES THE CORRECT TEMP. MY TRUCK DOES THE SAME THING IN THE MORNING. REAL SLOW UNTILL ABOUT 5 MINS ON DRIVING THEN THERE IS NO STOPPING THE BEAST!!! I HAVE A DIESEL FORD TECH BUDDY THAT TOLD ME THE OLDER ONES DO THAT UNTILL THEY WARM UP. ALSO HE SAYS TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000. I KNOW THAT SEEMS MUCH BUT THEY GOTA HAVE GOOD CLEAN OIL, OR STUFFS GONNA BRAKE.

Last edited by BLT2SPD; 04-03-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: ADD STUFF
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks,blt2spd, i wish there was a clear cut ,cheap remedy.ttyl
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

take it to the dealer and see if it has been updated with the new flash ......mine did the same till i took it in and they re flashed it with the new stuff and its great now
Old 04-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks jeff,do you remember what that cost ?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM

i think its around a hundred bucks to get it reflashed
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have that issue sometimes too. it makes a loud sucing sound when i do get it going then it will kick in and take off. i think mine is sticking turbo vanes when it is warm the issue is not there and the turbomakes wierd sounds during this cold time.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mine was weak as hell when cold when i bought it. the dealer found 2 bad injectors in it. changed them and it ran like hell for ayear now it's doing it again. also has egr and oil cooler leaking
Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by quequeg37 View Post
i have the exact same cold start-up problems. if you don't let it warm up for 10-15 mins. it will barely move on flat grade. when mine starts up it sounds so loud and will not idle up like it used to. the sound is like a knocking sound. when it runs for a while it runs just fine; poiwer idle acceleration engine sound. its like a doctor jeckle/ mr.hyde truck. it an 04 SD 6.0L diesel 4x4 4 dr. lwb duelly. i pull a 32' rv all across the country in all conditions and that motor or truck has never failed . it has ran for days an pulled tons endlessly. it was made to work. i have keep clean fuyel in it and changed oil and filters religiously. i guess they all have to have a little something go wrong. i read about these egr problems. i wonder if that could be problem. i also took and changed the flex fit rubbers on the cold air induction and found black oil(not much) but a trace in the pipe coming from turbo. What is that? That can't be normal. i'm having problems with dealers. evey one i go to doesn't fix problem or they say its not covered under warranty. i have 60k miles and it shouldn't run as horrible asit does now. ANY HELP PLEASE. Im near palm springs, ca
huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2SPD View Post
BUT THIS IS OK. SHE IS IN A SAFE MODE UNTILL SHE REACHES THE CORRECT TEMP. MY TRUCK DOES THE SAME THING IN THE MORNING. REAL SLOW UNTILL ABOUT 5 MINS ON DRIVING THEN THERE IS NO STOPPING THE BEAST!!! I HAVE A DIESEL FORD TECH BUDDY THAT TOLD ME THE OLDER ONES DO THAT UNTILL THEY WARM UP. ALSO HE SAYS TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000. I KNOW THAT SEEMS MUCH BUT THEY GOTA HAVE GOOD CLEAN OIL, OR STUFFS GONNA BRAKE.
safe mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.