6.0 engine and front end problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 engine and front end problem?

Got two questions......Sometimes while im driving on the interstate ill be maintaining 70-75mph and i hear my turbo make a sound like it is reving itself but i am not tapping the gas pedal. Kinda hard to understand cause I dont really know how to explain the noise but any input will be helpful...and 2nd lately when I hit a bump or the weight in the truck shifts Ive been hearing a click noise. It only occurs when there is weight transfer or i hit a bump. It appears to be coming from the front end under the floorboard on the drivers or passenger side. Yesterday I stood on the running board and shook the truck and it made the noise but I am unable to determine what the noise is.
Anything will be great before I have to take it to Ford to look at it.
thanks, KC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Does it run fine (no smoke, no power loss, no cel)? Check the ball joints, and the stabilizer bar bushings, also if your truck is 4x4 check the front u-joints.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM

the truck seems to run fine sometimes it runs a little rough but no smoke or anything. So how do i check the joints and all that and yes the truck is a 4x4? Im not the best when it comes to repairs
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Jack up the front axle as close to the ball joint as possible, then pry up and down on the bottom of the tire heres bsome random picture i found via google for testing ball joints, look for play. http://www.carquestchassistraining.c...ction_0002.jpg
To check the stabilizer bar bushings, look for shiny spots on the bar near the bushings, grab the bar and shake it too. If its shiny or moves alot replace the bussings.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

As far as the running issue, if it sounds like a whistle noise, you may have pressure escaping the degas bottle cap. That could be from a bad egr cooler or headgaskets. Any puking?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM

u lost me...lol puking as in ? i was reading up is ive had the vehicle since 04 is there a way to clean the turbo or anything that might help?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Coolant pucking out of degas bottle. Yes there is a unison ring and vanes in the turbo that gets all sooted up. But i dont think thats your problem, based off of your description of the problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcb8642 View Post
Got two questions......Sometimes while im driving on the interstate ill be maintaining 70-75mph and i hear my turbo make a sound like it is reving itself but i am not tapping the gas pedal. Kinda hard to understand cause I dont really know how to explain the noise but any input will be helpful...and 2nd lately when I hit a bump or the weight in the truck shifts Ive been hearing a click noise. It only occurs when there is weight transfer or i hit a bump. It appears to be coming from the front end under the floorboard on the drivers or passenger side. Yesterday I stood on the running board and shook the truck and it made the noise but I am unable to determine what the noise is.
Anything will be great before I have to take it to Ford to look at it.
thanks, KC
I have the same turbo sound in simular situation as you. I am almost sure it is the turbos variable blades adjusting for slight power needs from road resistance or slight rises. I have the same clunk too, not sure eather. I am having my front end and brakes checked this friday, we will see if he finds any thing. I will post his results, if any.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM

thanx please do I am very curious....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.