FICM faulty, voiding my warranty because of wires to map sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM faulty, voiding my warranty because of wires to map sensor

Ok so here's the scoop. 2006 F350 went in to the dealership December 2008 for blown egr cooler, new egr valve, and they said i needed to buy new batteries as the fuel control module didnt have enough voltage and they gave it a reprogram. So $600 later (batteries and deductible) my truck is running good.

The day i get it back I start to notice exhaust smell in the cab, i dont think much of it. Then now 2 months later the truck is starting rough again and misfiring when cold and blowing white smoke at startup. Take it in to ford and they call me back and say do you have a programmer in it? I say no they say ok well call you later with an update. Calls later and says its my FICM but its not under warranty because we have reason to believe the truck has been modified, theres wires going to the map sensor.

I say what are you talking about i just had the truck in the for the same issue 2 months ago (2000kms). Oh well you could have modified it in that time. We are not prepared to take the risk.

So what the hell, this is where im at right now, argued for 15 minutes with the guy. Its only had 2000 kms on it since it was in their shop in december. The truck has no been changed at all since the last time it was in the shop. He says its a problem with the fuel module controller ( $1200).

Is there any such programmer that is wired in to the map sensor??? This FICM problem seems to be common, its pissing me off that they are saying some wires going to the map sensor void my warranty and theres nothing they can do. I can see maybe if it had blown headgaskets or tranny that they would be suspicious, but this is a FICM and theres no chip on it, just some wires which i dont know what theyre talking about, i guess ill have to go see

What should i do, thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do you have gauges or anything on it?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes i do, i have intake, exhaust, pyro, boost, trans gauge, all came with the truck when i bought it. For all i know the guy could have had a chip on it before, but i checked out the warranty and it still had it so i bought it. Its been in to this dealer already once and had warranty work. Now there saying theres some wires on the map sensor and that my last warranty work i got lucky. Is there even a chip that gets wired in?? Sounds like bs, this isnt a blown up engine, its a faulty FICM which is common.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The reason I asked is you may have an electrical boost gauge rather than a mechanical. The electrical one would tap into the map sensor. If they are considering voiding for gauges find a new dealer
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The reason I asked is you may have an electrical boost gauge rather than a mechanical. The electrical one would tap into the map sensor. If they are considering voiding for gauges find a new dealer
Ya i thought about that but i think i remember seeing a vacuum gauge running through the firewall. Ill find out once i go down there and have them show me. Ive just been researching alot about this so i go down prepared. My main concern is them not blacklisting me for void warranty
Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well i got my truck back, the wires are just the wires going to the map sensor but they dont have any protective ribbed cover over them on one part, and he pointed to the vacuum line that leads to the boost gauge, total BS. Ill post pics. I said ill just take it to another dealer, he said well you can try but theyll say the same thing. He said he doesnt have to prove anything and that theyre suspicion is good enough not to accept the warranty repair.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I noticed you said the truck was in 2000ks ago, so I'm assuming you're in Canada. We've got the Magnussen-Moss Act here to protect us from dealers not honoring our warranty without cause. Have you got anything similar there?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlide View Post
I noticed you said the truck was in 2000ks ago, so I'm assuming you're in Canada. We've got the Magnussen-Moss Act here to protect us from dealers not honoring our warranty without cause. Have you got anything similar there?
ya im from canada, im not sure id have to look in to that. sounds like bs though i cant even find a chip that wires in to the map sensor, the guy didnt seem like he knew what he was talking about. even if there was a chip in there some how before i had it which was a year ago, thats not going to make the FICM fail. The last warranty repair that it had 2000kms ago they reflashed the FICM and i heard the new flash puts stress on the older FICMs and thats what is wrong with my truck the FICM, complete ****.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Huge massive update, the tech is official retarded. Ive attached the pic of the wiring he was suspecting to be programming wiring. I guess i was just flustered and not thinking correctly when he showed me the wires, because i just looked at them and it is for the boost gauge. I guess theres a unit that has a vacuum line hooked to it and also wires the run off of it for the boost gauge. I just assumed (from other cars i had) that only a vacuum gauge was ran, didnt know there was a little control box and wires that ran off of it for the autometer C2 gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
FICM faulty, voiding my warranty because of wires to map sensor-p3140022.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.