Coolant loss but only so much?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant loss but only so much??

I have a 2005 6.0 with 70,000 miles sct tuner, 4'' turbo back exhaust, true flow xdi itake. i have had coolant purge out of the coolant bottle but only go down 3/4 in below original min mark. still have some coming out but next to nothing, if i baby the truck and dont get it real hot it wont happen. i dodnt know if it is headgasket blowby when i put 30lbs of boost thru it, or if it is flash heating coolant(bad egr cooler) in the egr cooler. i would appreciate any help. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
Thats what mine was doin last month and i just got it back today from ford and they did head gaskets and arp studs
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lifsvr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Lifsvr7
mine is already gasketed, and studded, and is doing it... at high speed and that 30+ lbs boost.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 AM

your truck is already studded an still blowing coolant? do you have a egr cooler delete yet. i wounder if it has smething to do with flash heating coolant.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 PM

I dunno .... unfourtunately I am not very educated when it comes to diesels, and our motor especially. what I know I have picked up from this site (PLUG). I do not have the delete as of yet. I have been contemplating getting the block off, as it seems not so complicated or involved as taking apart the top of the motor to install the delete kit. I do have Innovative tunes and I think the xtremes close the egr... isn't that good enough to keep it from superheating or whatever
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 AM

to stop the egr from opening at all i havr heard that you need to block it off, it will still be forced open under high boost conditions. all the program does is stop the opening and closing of the egr valve, but the heat and coolant are still going threw the egr cooler pipe. the program just closes the last stage of the system. by the way how much did i t cost you to arp stud? i am looking to stud and egr block off my truck with in the year.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it Ok on the 04 to put just the egr block plate or do you need to delete the cooler too
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwaterz View Post
to stop the egr from opening at all i havr heard that you need to block it off, it will still be forced open under high boost conditions. all the program does is stop the opening and closing of the egr valve, but the heat and coolant are still going threw the egr cooler pipe. the program just closes the last stage of the system. by the way how much did i t cost you to arp stud? i am looking to stud and egr block off my truck with in the year.
I was lucky enough to have it done under a warranty... I just paid for the studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat228
Is it Ok on the 04 to put just the egr block plate or do you need to delete the cooler too
I would like to know that also
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat228 View Post
i dont know what the diffrences are in 03-04 to 05-07 but i have heard they differ a little. as far as the egr block plate, i have no idea. i have a 05 f250 fx4 manual trans, and when i do the egr delete i am going to buy a new up pipe or cut and weld mine, and re-route coolant. i want to totaly delete the egr cooler (no cooler no problems). i also will get custome tunes with no egr. if there are any techs that could chime in on any thread would be great.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just spoke with a guy from elite in CA and he told me the up-pipes are different, and on the 03-04 "as long as you don't stay in it all the time, (dragging, slay pulling, etc.) it would be fine to use just a plate for 2-3 years, but you eventually need to delete the cooler also."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.