And the tech said... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And the tech said...

Took the beast into a dealer, asked for the diesel guru, explained, truck runs great, but I get an exhaust smell, and I am losing coolant, appears to out of the degas bottle. Up pipe??? Educate me. He stated if the up pipe breaks, I lose boost, I told him I have great boost (runs like a raped ape! Apologies to simians everywhere). Put it on the rack (vehicle lift), both exhaust manifolds are leaking, small slit in the up pipe... asked about the coolant. The coolant manages to enter the extremely hot clogged oil filter..POOF! vaporizes (pressurizes degas bottle) and you smell auntie frieze. $3400 thereabouts and I am ready to go...really not a bad price. 116,000 miles.. my thoughts? (Cannot be expressed without referencing incestual relationships between engineers and thier primary caregivers ..) My bad.. I can see this happening again... The picture is of aluminum radiators being rodded out because of deposits clogging the passageways years ago, and we bury an anuminuminum cooler with miniscule aperatures in a valley and run coolant thru it?? I'm telling O'Bama...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 PM

What the hay did you just say?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaldbob View Post
What the hay did you just say?
No kidding!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
Took the beast into a dealer, asked for the diesel guru, explained, truck runs great, but I get an exhaust smell, and I am losing coolant, appears to out of the degas bottle. Up pipe??? Educate me. He stated if the up pipe breaks, I lose boost, I told him I have great boost (runs like a raped ape! Apologies to simians everywhere). Put it on the rack (vehicle lift), both exhaust manifolds are leaking, small slit in the up pipe... asked about the coolant. The coolant manages to enter the extremely hot clogged oil filter..POOF! vaporizes (pressurizes degas bottle) and you smell auntie frieze. $3400 thereabouts and I am ready to go...really not a bad price. 116,000 miles.. my thoughts? (Cannot be expressed without referencing incestual relationships between engineers and thier primary caregivers ..) My bad.. I can see this happening again... The picture is of aluminum radiators being rodded out because of deposits clogging the passageways years ago, and we bury an anuminuminum cooler with miniscule aperatures in a valley and run coolant thru it?? I'm telling O'Bama...
You paid $3400 to replace both exhaust manifolds and uppipe? Must have been in the stimulus package lol

Last edited by JD F350; 02-27-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 PM

The quote is to clean, replace the exhaust gaskets, r/r the oil cooler and related components. I think the price is fair, the system is what irritates me.. 'back in the day' they found that running coolant through cast iron created deposits that clogged aluminum radiators.. or so I was told, an educated sequential analytical thought process would reason that 'hay', this might be a problem, an aluminum oil coooler, with coolant cycled through the cast iron. I might have this wrong, backwards... I aren't an ingeneer. I look at this forum, see the puking posts, where people have done everything they know.. and I see a potentially inherent recurring issue, can you delete the oil cooler? It gets clogged, ruptures... more issues... is there a solution.. is there a Dr Phil answer.. I had a 7.3, (i know, not the same) one water pump, 1 in line feeder pump, 2 cam sensors, and 1 or 2 injectors in 340,000 miles. I like a rig that I can pay off... and drive, w/o warranty issues... if the system is 'flawed' there goes the confidence...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

In easier terms, he's concerned that the anti freeze is picking up mineral deposits and leaving them in the oil cooler when the antifreeze boils out of the oil ...( I think )

Long term solution , EGR delete and coolant bypass. Keep coolant where it belongs, out of the combustion chamber. You could go to the extreme of using Demin water I suppose. Or, now they do have completely waterless coolants. Used in commercial sever service stuff quite a bit, and coolant filtration systems.

I kinda like the way it was typed.....Entertaining, very literal

Last edited by fallendown; 03-04-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.