Emission light / Engine problems light? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emission light / Engine problems light?

Hello

I looked through a few pages, and couldnt find anything on this. I am sure its been covered, and I appologize for that.

But if y'all could point me in the right direction I would sure appriciate it

I have a 2004 F350 6.0 and a few days ago I jumped in to run to the store. All the lights came on like normal when I started, and yes, I let the glow plugs warm up (my truck before this was a 89 7.3 - so I know the drill )

and I started it up. But a light stayed on. I looked it up, it was the emission light. I drove the mile to the store, turned OFF the truck to run in (which I never do) and tightened up the fuel cap.

When I restarted it, the light was still on. I came back home and havent started it till today. its still lighting up when you start the truck.

I havent driven it or had the truck running for more than 10 minutes at a time since it happened. (bad I know, but had no need... LOL ) We drove around the place tonight, but not far and not for long. (actually, I was just moving this one around to jump off the 89. I also towed the 89 about 15 feet. )

Tomorrow I will be driving to town, so it will be running longer and at higher speeds.

I filled up on Thursday, and have only driven it about 45 miles since I filled up. Once on Saturday (no problems, no funny lights) and then to the store on Monday.

Is this a simple fix or do I have to call in a mechanic?

the book just tells me it could be the check engine or emissions... ?? Am I gona have to spend a few hundred to get it diagnosed on a 'puter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly View Post
Hello
the book just tells me it could be the check engine or emissions... ?? Am I gona have to spend a few hundred to get it diagnosed on a 'puter?
In a nutshell, YES. Without pulling the code(s), you're setting yourself up with expensive unecessary "guesses" in parts that WILL cost you a lot more than the hundred it will cost you in diagnosis.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it might be a long shot but have you cleaned your egr lately, the emmisions light came on in my dads 06 a few weeks ago. i took his egr out and cleaned all the crap out of it. then erased the code with his edge module and it hasnt came back on since. just something you can try.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Emergency Services

X2 on the EGR valve. Also get a scanner, they are cheap online. Or take the truck to Autozone or Orielly's and have them scan it for free.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks!
I didnt realize Orielley scanned them..

I will check into that. (the EGR)

The book did say that it might come on after a fill up or such, and if it didnt go off after 3 cold starts and uses, to get it checked. Of course this was burried DEEP in the book, and I only found it today.

It did go off today. I didnt have alot of cold starts. It only was set idle (not running) for 3 hours at a time, twice, once for an hour and once for 2 hours. But after the last 2 hour one, I started it, drove about 20 feet, and had to stop to talk to my grandfather. He is deaf as a post, so I turned it back off. after 10 minutes I started it up, and the dadgum light didnt come back on!

I am driving alot tomorrow, so I will see if it comes back on. BUT I will take your advice and see if my dear and darling hubby will check the EGR.

or maybe I will just pay someone to check it... LOL I didnt mind working on the 89, but this one scares me. LOL

THanks y'all! I really appriciate it!

I dont want to have to deal with breakdowns with this one. Hubby made me buy it after my 89 had to have new fuel lines (leaking), a new starter, new alternator, and new batteries with in a 3 month time period. LOL He was tired of working on it and buying parts.

I bought it two years ago, with 35K miles on it, and its been a great truck. Other than the eating of tires.. (and with 6 on a 4X4 that gets REALLY expensive! LOL) But its a good looking truck, will pull what ever I want and is costing me an arm and a leg, so I reckon I will keep it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.