Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 oil cooler cleaning

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fast_st 
#1 ·
So my hpop blew out the plug, looks like the pump spun (happened while driving) But hey while I'm there, lets inspect the EGR cooler and oil cooler. EGR cooler clean as a whistle, Oil cooler had a little bit of slippery residue on the outbound side and just a tiny bit of something on the intake side at the bottom, not gritty and not much.

What are the flow specs for the coolant side on a 6.0 oil cooler? At the rad shop we used to have a flow bench but it seems the 6.0 is temperature spread based.
I was seeing oil temps staying within 5-15 degrees of coolant temp warmed up on the highway but usually less than 10 sustained.

I have the HPOP out, so removed the cooler, has the plastic screen down under so it must be original, I backflushed the cooler with a garden hose, there was a little discoloration right away and that cleared up. We're on city water 140 psi static and about 4 gpm I'd venture to guess. Flushed both directions with really no restriction in flow. I added a little oxalic acid solution to the cooler and rotated it all around for a few minutes, it turned brown, flushed and repeated four times last two times there wasn't any more discoloration or fizzing, added a hose nozzle to introduce air and bubbles into the flow. Some small flakes of rust maybe 1/4 inch square did come out during the whole process but overall it looks really clean.

Next is digging into the hpop to see if its indexed correctly.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you have the OEM EGR & Oil cooler in your hand's walk over to the trash can and make a deposit. If you place them back in your truck you will at some point be in this position again. Bullet Proof it and avoid the issues to come from not replacing the OEM parts.

#5 ·
I am about ready to do something with my oil cooler. I've got deltas way high again and don't feel like messing with it any more. I was looking at an external oil cooler, rather then internal and am seeing some pretty high prices for parts. Anyone have good parts that don't have so many zeros behind them?

-Rodger

#6 ·
Racerx, thanks for the tips, hmm, this cooler looks good and holds 80 psi, it may be a replacement but it looks all original at 200k miles. Really doesn't take long at all to whip out all of those fiddlybits, I was surprised, maybe took two hours of fiddling to get everything removed down to the HPOP. I'm planning on switching over to Napa HD (cat ELC ) coolant after I get drain plugs in and the injectors all spiffed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.