Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A/C guru wanted!

960 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  PowertotheStroke 
#1 ·
06 f250 w/ 118k miles. The a/c worked but not as great as it should when i purchased the truck and then i didn't use it over the winter and then had studs put in and tried to use it this summer and it just blows hot air when on max a/c.

Took it to a hobby shop to repair myself, so i took all the freon out and noticed the low pressure side schrader valve might have been leaking a little when i took the cap off. I couldn't get the orifice tube out but noticed sand on the tool when trying to remove the tube. Where should i start trouble shooting.

I've researched and can't find to much about this problem except to take the washer out of the compressor. But i'd rather not replace parts that don't need replacing.

#2 ·
Also when i would turn it to max a/c the compressor kicks on for less than a second and then off again. It cycles like this several times but doesn't ever stay on

#3 ·
Try changing the valve stem on the low side and recharge the system. Blow the low side out with a little air first though. Had a problem once like that. Hope this helps : )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Thanks, i'll try that first but what about the orifice tube having sand. Did you notice that also?

#5 ·
That's what I ment by blowing out with air before you take out the valve, hope we are on the same page

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
:doh: haha yeah i thought you meant the low side for some reason.

#7 ·
replace the accumulater,it has come apart,the sand is the deccisent in it.also replace the orfice tube and blow out the lines with a proper solvent.Serious damage can happen when that sand gets to the compressor,the accumulater is the big can like thing on the side of the heater box,arent expensive,buy a new one,wouldnt trust a used one.Harvey

#9 ·
Yeah that's what i'm going to do since there isn't any freon in the system right now and it's probably getting humidity in there.

An if you can't get the orifice tube out, just replace the line. It is not that expensive, plus it sound like it captured debris from the accumulator.
I finally got the tube out with a ton of build up on it. Should've taken a picture. It took me a while with q-tips to clean out the line where it was.

#8 ·
An if you can't get the orifice tube out, just replace the line. It is not that expensive, plus it sound like it captured debris from the accumulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.