Bicep Power steering problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Bicep Power steering problem

Hey guys i got an issue with my 05 6.0l. I've been through three power steering pumps in 14 months! the first one was still factory and i got 200K kms on it so i didn't think nothing of it, but then the one that got put in(wich was a ford replacement) went again after like 5 months, and they replaced that one under the new part warranty but now my third pump has recently **** the bed. They alldo the same thing, i have no pwer steering at an idle, as soon as my rpm is like 1300 or more i'm good (she whines incredibly loud though) but that being said when i want to turn the wheels i'm ussually in a parkling lot idling trying to find a spot. Does anyone know what could be causing these pumps to fail (brake booster???) and is there a company who makes aftermarket pumps that don't whine like the ford ones do? Thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdouville View Post
Hey guys i got an issue with my 05 6.0l. I've been through three power steering pumps in 14 months! the first one was still factory and i got 200K kms on it so i didn't think nothing of it, but then the one that got put in(wich was a ford replacement) went again after like 5 months, and they replaced that one under the new part warranty but now my third pump has recently **** the bed. They alldo the same thing, i have no pwer steering at an idle, as soon as my rpm is like 1300 or more i'm good (she whines incredibly loud though) but that being said when i want to turn the wheels i'm ussually in a parkling lot idling trying to find a spot. Does anyone know what could be causing these pumps to fail (brake booster???) and is there a company who makes aftermarket pumps that don't whine like the ford ones do? Thanks for all your help in advance!
Do you have your foot on the brake when trying to turn in the parking lots?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no ussually what i do now is find my spot and come to complete stop so that when i go turn the wheels i can use the throttle and accelerate a bit so it's not as hard to turn the wheels.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
no ussually what i do now is find my spot and come to complete stop so that when i go turn the wheels i can use the throttle and accelerate a bit so it's not as hard to turn the wheels.
I know these truck are real hard if not impossible to turn when the brakes are applied at an idle. Sounds to me like you might have a restriction in the line causing the pump to overwork and burn up prematurely. Someone on here said that Ford had a TSB out for the installation of an inline filter kit for the power steering. Might check that out.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds to me like you might have a restriction in the line causing the pump to overwork and burn up prematurely.
thats what my mech thought when he replaced the pump the third time so we put in new hoses to the booster and everything else, i mean i don't mind the workout, but to get someone else to drive my truck is scary cuz it's really hard to turn my 37''
Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
37''
This could be part of the problem. I know a lot of guys run bigger tires so this may mean nothing. Ever thought of hydraulic assist? Just suggestions. Hopefully someone will be along that can help you out more than I have.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i think its your 37's that is causing the problems....

get yourself a ram assist stearing kit and you will be able to turn those tires with 1 finger

-Raul
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

That's what I thought Raul. Thanks for backing that up.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
That's what I thought Raul. Thanks for backing that up.
yah thats how mine is... im getting a ram assist and crossover stearing kit pretty soon because im tired of it like that...
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what is a ram assist? i've never heard of this hydrualic assist, and my best friend has an o7 6.ol with 37's and his factory pump turns em with one finger no problem has since brand new.

Last edited by jdouville; 02-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.