Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

06 6.0 White smoke

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jasen16 
#1 ·
New to the site, been researching this topic a lot lately and decided it was time to post.

I recently did the River City EGR delete, oil cooler. After this I had the infamous no start issues and ended up having to put a pump in it because the STC fitting on the pump was the old style and bad. I also changed the IPR.

I still get a cloud of white smoke when the truck is cold. As the truck warms up, it slowly goes away. At idle, it doesn't smoke, or it's very faint. It only smokes upon take off and it hangs around, it's not steam. Today, I had the windows down and the wind blew the smoke my way and it smelled like diesel fuel.

I don't use any coolant, my temps stay at a max of 12 degrees apart. My idle isn't rough, my FCIM voltage is at 50v upon start up. My only thought is that I usually fill up at half a tank, and it's possible the fuel is possibly bad?

I don't think it is a heads issue. Maybe you guys can help me pin point the issue.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My thought would be a leaky injector or oil seal in the turbo is bad.
Oil in the down pipe would indicate a bad oil seal in the turbo.
But as for a leaky injector, I have no clue how you'd test or check for that.
Hopefully someone might know.

I've also wondered if maybe a weak glow plug or two could cause the white smoke?

#4 ·
Not necessarily, I have a Speed 3 and the turbo seal went bad, it would smoke a lot, a little, or not at all. Depended how I was driving. Take the tune off and see if it goes away. And while you're at it get a real tune, the canned tune's can do bad things to your truck.

#5 ·
I am in the process of getting an innovative diesel tune...I am going to run this tank of fuel out and see if I have old fuel that is causing the problem. In case that it is the turbo, do you know where the best place to get a rebuild kit on the turbo is?

When I had mine off, the fins all looked great, but it might be easier putting a new center core in it..?

#6 ·
Riff Raff Diesel has good prices on the rebuild kit. Fast shipping too.

#7 ·
Vision diesel performance in oregon also has them, recently launched shop and has all the questions you may have about your turbo. But I think it's just your tune,

I had white smoke on my 6.0, but it was because injector 4 was stuck open and flooded the cylinder and in the end hydrolocked the motor, took all the sticks out and sent to warren diesel to get them all rebuilt. But like jman said, canned tunes suck and you need an actual custom tune, i'm rocking street king by drew @ backroadperformance and no smoke, firm shifts, love every bit of that tune, and thats the one im sticking with. Not into much of the hot tunes, like SPD which I also had and did not like one bit, tranny never had a grip on it.

Dont know if Matt's SRL is next, but really digging street king, fast turnaround times and you email the tuner directly.

EDIT: Canned tunes to be honest should've never been released, its essentially a small sample of what these trucks are capable off.

#9 ·
Not unlocking full potential, and also possibly damaging your rig. I know a few local guys who had unfortunate accidents with the stock SCT tunes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.