Educating Fellow Members On What Things Are Like From A Tech's Perspective - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Educating Fellow Members On What Things Are Like From A Tech's Perspective

Let me first start off by requesting the moderator to move this post to the appropriate forum if needed. I am posting here because it is the forum I frequent the most. I would also like to begin by letting all fellow members understand the purpose of this post. Hopefully, after reading this, MOST of you will get a better understanding of what it's like being a tech, wrenching on these animals.

From the time that I have joined this forum, as well as many other forums, I have tried to help as many fellow members as possible, regarding questions about their truck, be it technical or otherwise. I get a personal satisfaction out of being able to help anyone save TIME and MONEY because I work on these things myself, and can very clearly understand how easily anyone can end up "over-repairing" something when they are not in the know. That being said, all I ask for, is for all of you "out there" to understand that most of us working on these vehicles, really don't make a lot of money when the work being carried out is a warranty repair. As most of you are probably already aware, these engines (the 6.0L) have been pretty troublesome on A LOT of fronts since it's introduction in 2003. The high cost of the warranty claims to Ford Motor Company these engines have caused, is probably no secret to most of you by now, that it has caused the demise of the "relationship" between Ford and Navistar (the manufacturer/supplier of the 6.0L/VT365), effective December 31st/2009.

Those of you who visit this forum asking questions for diagnostic assistance on any particular subject matter, please keep a few things in mind before using the name "stealership" in your posts. Most of the techs on these forums work for "stealerships". That's where they get their information from, to share with YOU. While I will be the first person to agree that getting your ride repaired at the dealer vs. an independent garage can be quite pricey, there are many things you need to consider. #1 is that overhead operating costs are VERY high compared to independent garages. There are manufacturer specific diagnostic tools that can/will access information that more generic scan tools won't, which adds more time to the diagnostic process (and higher LABOUR HOURS CHARGED) by the independent. That being said, a good example of this being illustrated is one case I had, where an independent garage replaced ALL EIGHT injectors (at the customer's expense) only to have the problem NOT FIXED. The vehicle was brought to me afterwards, when I quickly determined it only needed a FICM. The "garage" paid the bill for the diag and replace, only to jack up the bill another 15% to the customer!!!

So, to clarify what is considered a "money maker" type job to a mechanic, let us understand how a mechanic is paid. I am sure most of you are aware that we are paid what is called "flat rate". This means we are paid by the job, NOT BY THE HOUR. So if a particular job is set to pay 2 hours, it pays 2 hours regardless of whether it takes 10 minutes to carry out, or FOUR hours to carry out. Retail brake jobs, maintenances, flushes (be it coolant transmisson, or power steering or brake fluids) are the types of jobs that are profitable for the servicing tech. These are typically considered "low skill" type jobs. Engine work, diagnostic type work (be that "Check Engine", ABS, flashing indicators, etc.), transmission repairs are typically not too profitable to the servicing tech, let alone 6.0L/6.4L diesel diagnostic. For this reason, there are very few who "specialize", and hence the shortage. In MOST cases, warranty repairs are jobs that result in a LOSS to the servicing tech, depending on how efficient/inefficient he is. This situation is not limited to FoMoCo techs either. Unfortunately, this type of pay system rewards those who "repair" vehicles the QUICKEST, as opposed to taking the proper amount of time needed to ensure a quality repair. Sad but true, and for this reason there are a lot of what we call "hacks" out there. Lastly, understand that for every $100 you pay to the dealer, the servicing tech gets only $25 of that.

One final note to those of you who bring their vehicle to the dealer "only for warranty repairs", keep one thing in mind. If a major component (engine/transmission) fails on you, and you are a "regular" paying customer that has had all your maintenance kept up to date at recommended mileages, YOU will be the ones looked after, if/when the warranty expires. This means if you are beyond your 3/36 and your engine or transmission is toasted, you will be the ones that are offered what is called a "goodwill" type repair which means the cost of the repair will be split 3 ways: the manufacturer, the dealer and you. If however, you fall under the category that warranty repairs are the only occasions for your visits, you will be the ones "pushed to the back of the bus" so to speak. This means if your vehicle sustains a major component failure after your warranty expired like the situation mentioned above, you will be on your own for the repair.

I now end this post with a few questions. Why is it that we don't question being charged $200 for having someone install our toilet, but when quoted $100 to diagnose a complex driveability problem with our vehicles, we scream "bloody murder"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are some very good points in there and I for one consider myself a more educated person for having read this!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to l.a.w.1111
Probably the same reason some folks complain about the cost of the prescription drugs that keep them alive!
Thanks to all of you for helping us work on our rigs and save us some money!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
There are some very good points in there and I for one consider myself a more educated person for having read this!
That was the intended purpose of this post
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree. I work at an International/Peterbilt Dealership. We work on Caterpillar, Cummins, and International engines. We have many customers who whine and complain about what we charge as opposed to maw and paw shops, but the up side is we are a full service dealer and our techs have the skills to properly diagnose and repair the truck properly.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
a truck

Very well written and I agree with you, I go to the dealership to get most of the work I done on my truck that Im not able to do on my own, I know one of the diesel techs very well there as long as the service manager and they are great guys and always help me out and give me good deals, Ive hung around and heard about how much they hate warranty repairs and stuff so I appreciate the work you guys do, and thank you and all the other techs for all the help
Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
I hear where youre coming from. I dont like it when I see the term "stealership". Matter of fact, I saw it in a new thread earlier today. I thought to myself,"this fella prolly wont get any help". I personally wanna thank you, and all the other techs here who offer up their personal UNPAID time to help us out. Youre not obligated to do it, but you still do. Thank You.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dirk needs to see this. And all the other guys.

Very well said sir. Glad someone put that important info into perspective for the people that don't get it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Cynic

Awesome.

I guess I'm rather jaded. I skip past the "stealership" posts now. I'm tired of arguing the point.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD0389 View Post
Very well written and I agree with you, I go to the dealership to get most of the work I done on my truck that Im not able to do on my own, I know one of the diesel techs very well there as long as the service manager and they are great guys and always help me out and give me good deals, Ive hung around and heard about how much they hate warranty repairs and stuff so I appreciate the work you guys do, and thank you and all the other techs for all the help
And it is THIS attitude that keeps techs like myself motivated to going into work every day, putting a concerted effort into ensuring the vehicle is leaves my bay achieving absolutely NOTHING, other than a customer that is completely satisfied with the repair (something VERY difficult to achieve with 6.0L owners).

Sadly, there are very few like you out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.