Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 6.0 longer crank times slight intermittent miss at idle

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  rollthecoal7.3 
#1 ·
Truck had all the recalls done, stc fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes etc, new heads the whole works 1k miles ago. Random long cranks 3-4 seconds and a little hiccup in the idle randomly. Here are the readings I got threw FICM tuner.

IPR % key on: 14.7, ICP V key on: .25, bat V key on: 11.6 (threw FICM tuner reading).

ICP V running: .87-.90, ICP Pressure running: 577-584, IPR % running: 23.4

Has a little sputter at idle that's not consistent it seems but long crank is getting more frequent. Date on batteries is 10/10 motorcraft

Runs strong but idk if she's 100%???

#8 ·
Bad batteries will cause longer cranking times. Low voltage start ups can cause damage to the FICM. Make sure that both batteries are of 850 CCA each. Anything lower than that rating and you'll be buying new batteries again sooner than what you would like.

#9 ·
I just went thru the same thing. My drivers side battery was just about to go and i was getting the long crank with occasional hiccup. Went to costco and got 2 new 850CCA batteries for $200.... Problem solved and they have a 36/100 month warranty

#18 ·
If u have a monitor in your rig check the rpm,s while cranking, starter May be cranking to slow. Mine cranks around 240 which IMHO should be about right. The faster u crank a diesel the quicker the start. Hope this helps. : )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Status update: seems to start better after new batteries and putting 2-300 miles on her. She has sat 5 days now so I am going to see how things go in the morning. Only thing that still bugs me is it seems to have that hiccup at idle still, although very faint I still feel it but it may just be me worrying. Has new filter etc so idk what else to look at

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.