Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Radiator leak at transmission cooler fitting

14K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  usmc0651dns 
#1 ·
I just did an EGR delete, oil cooler upgrade, and coolant filtration setup on my '04 F350. While disconnecting the degas to radiator line, I broke the plastic nipple off the radiator. After numerous attempts to patch with plastic epoxy and JB Weld, I decided to get a new radiator. I found one on eBay for $125 shipped. The description stated that is was new, never installed, but had been opened.

I installed it, hooked up all lines and started filling with coolant. Then I heard a nice gushing sound. Coolant was pouring out of the passenger side transmission cooler line. My truck has the screw on lines. 3/4 wrench on the line and adjustable wrench on the radiator fitting. I checked for tightness and all was good so I looked at the non leaking side. The only noticeable difference is that the leaking side fitting is not seated firmly against the plastic part of the radiator and the fitting itself rotates. Is there anything I can do here or did I just buy a new and worthless radiator?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Doesn't the fitting sandwich the tranny cooler inside the radiator to seal it up? I'm assuming that with the fitting rotating, it means that you can't get it to tighten down all the way?

#3 ·
almost sounds like someone knowingly sold you a fubared radiator

that trany cooler floats around in there until the adapters are tightened up like Shawn stated .

were the adapters already on or did you transfer them ? (different years use different fittings as you know ) sounds like you have the early style ?

#4 ·
i couldn't find our setup but this is close and you can see the gasket that needs to be in place

when I was at BulletProof bying my radiator Andypulled it out of the box replaced the 03 fittings to the 04 up and IIRC I remember him telling Me that you do 1 at a time or you may cause an issue with the cooler falling
I wonder if the previous owner dropped the trany cooler inside the tank while swapping fittings and lost a gasket ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.