Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

more problems with my 6.0...

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  4506.0 
#1 ·
2003 6.0 125k

so i was delivery parts around town today at my new job sitting at a red light and the rpms go low it starts making that low idle that kinda shakes a wiggles the truck i press on the gas to get the rpms back up and it died. had to crank it up for like 15 seconds to get the truck going again it started run it back to the work area and it died when i pulled into my work area as soon as i left off the gas. i was able to keep the truck running as long as i kept the rpms over 1000 to get back to the work area, so i was trying to get it home (not letting it idle or get below 1000 rpms) and it wouldnt let me go any faster pressed the pedal rpms slowly dropped tried to get em up then died and wouldnt start only crank... :dunno:

this is the fourth time this year the truck is in the shop. first egr oil cooler (decided to "bulletproof it" egr upgrade studs water pump oil cooler coolant filter etc) and the ****ty mechanic gave it back after 3 months and messed up the icp and hpop (biggest hassle ever) $1950.00, took it to another more popular shop got it back $3100.00 eot was running 42+ degrees over ect. took it back they replaced oil cooler no labor cost $400.00 said the turbo was going back on it (i forgot what exactly is going on with it) but he said its not working fully and needs to get replaced soon or refurbished etc... now i'm sitting on the side of the highway calling these guys, they're saying it sounds like the ipr filter or sensor somethin like that ive never heard of so they towed it cheaper than any other towing company and said it will cost less than a 100 to fix it IF thats the problem.

im getting really sick of these problems occurring on this truck its a been a nightmare all year with it, i understand most of them arise from the first mechanic that got his hands on it but after fixing what he did, new problems occur. friends and family are pretty much making fun of me for even trying to fix it for the 4th time. my mom is even considering helping me find and get a new truck. my dad and good friend was really behind me with the whole bulletproofing investment idea, now lost hope lol. one thing to add im not one of those guys who enjoys fixing things on motors i use this thing for work and cant afford to fix the thing over and over. i say that because a lot of threads i read seem to be from people that kinda enjoy learning fixing finding the next weak point in the 6.0 and thats not why i got it. when looking to bulletproof it nobody said anything about the turbo going bad at 125k, now im wondering if i should keep the truck because what next will go out on it, im reading dummy plugs injectors this and that makin my head spin... im starting to recall reading on a post on a thread on here saying "'bulletproofing?' theres no such thing as bulletproofing a 6.0" im starting to get what he meant. i really like everything about the truck other than that :icon_ford:

so do you guys think these symptoms match with what they are thinking thats causing them? and should i consider getting rid of the 6.0 for a low mile 7.3 or 6.7?

See less See more
#2 ·
Could be the case, could also be an HPOP or other large HPO leak. Do you have any gauges? If not, first thing you need to get, what about a coolant filter?

As to your general rant, two things. I don't know your maintenance schedule. Do you have an OE oil filter cap? Change oil every 5k with synthetic? Fuel filters every 10k or less? The 6.0 is not a bad engine, but you do need to maintain it properly and completely or you will have problems. The other thing, DO NOT bring your truck to a shop that isn't a great 6.0 shop. Quiz the hell out of the guy you talk to, ask to talk to the mechanic and be sure he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. I've worked on a few 6.0's that other diesel shops touched first. One stop won't always take care of the damage done by a guy who shouldn't have touched the truck.

#3 ·
ya i got a bd monitor gauge i can read temps on, looks good with engine oil temps and coolant
the coolant bypass filter i got needs to be put on asap i need long hoses for it too
keep up with fluids fuel and filters is not going to keep a 6.0 from doing what it does, most people that still have 6.0's don't even use them like they're made to do - tow and haul every time, thats what ive come to realize after hours of reading forums
so i need to not be doing this delivery job if it requires actually using the truck like it was made to, towing 1000 miles a week with it like im doing

what does the ipr thing for, oil?

#4 ·
IPR is the pressure regulator for the HPO system.

Not sure where you get the idea people don't use these. All I use mine for is towing 18000+ pounds. Sounds like to me from some of your other posts your best bet is to sell that thing and get a V10.

#5 ·
ah, gotcha, hopefully thats whats wrong with it and they can just replace that thing. after that i need to save up for a new turbo or have it rebuilt or whatever and get back to driving it all the time

its mostly people that don't lean on these things for a job, but i do see people working with these trucks making a living using them, so, its possible :laugh: ...
i love this truck, just a bad year dealing with the bulletproofing im hoping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.