Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Steering Components and Wandering

944 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rwilly 
#1 ·
For the past few weeks, I've been experiencing some steering wander when driving. It's more prominent during the first 10 minutes of driving and after making a left or right turn at intersections. Steering will pull to one side while I fight to center it, then starts pulling to the opposite site. It becomes a game for less than a minute then goes away.

I'm new to the steering components on these trucks, but may have identified the issue. Looks to be a worn ball joint as pictured at the far left. May be in need of a new steering stabilizer as well.

Any thoughts? Name/part number of these joints?

See less See more
#2 ·
Torn boots will allow crud to erode your balljoints at an extremely accelerated rate. Depending on how loose they are, it could or could not be the source of your problem. Find a friend, wife, neighbor to help you for 5 minutes. Sit them in the truck (key on engine off) and turn the wheel back and forth (it'll be hard without power steering assist) while you are under the truck looking for anything loose such as pitman arm joint. Listen for metal slapping or slop.

Also, you have A LOT of oily residue under your truck. Find that leak brutha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.