Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 knocking noise

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sixty 
#1 ·
I have an 03 f250 that I recently purchased. The truck had 169k on it and had a bad oil leak so the first thing I did after the test drive and trailering it home was pull the top end off the engine, weld the egr cooler, installed new oil cooler, ICP, HPOP gasket and IPR kit, cleaned the turbo etc...

As soon I got it running it had a knocking sound that sounds like a bongo drum. I did not notice the sound when I test drove the truck but it may have been there. The farther you get from the truck the more noticeable it is up to 100 or so feet away. The truck and it is running great and has TONS of power.

The truck makes around 26lbs of boost and is very smooth except on startup from injector stiction which clears up in about 30 seconds. I monitor the engine with my SCT livewire and the ICP pressures are great as well as the IPR duty cycle, FICM voltage and all other parameters look good too.

The noise is the loudest when the engine is cold and not very loud when the engine is hot. Thru a stethoscope the engine sounds normal from both heads and the block. With a hose I cannot pinpoint the noise. Over the last 2k miles it has become slightly louder.

I have tuned the truck with the SCT and the sound stays the same.

Here is a video of the sound, if anyone could give me some ideas on what this could be, it would be greatly appreciated!

Powerstroke 6.0 knock - YouTube

See less See more
#2 ·
Difficult listening to a recording, especially given all the normal sounds of the truck and either the wind or you touching near the mic a lot. But, my impression was that it might be something like air popping rather than a mechanical drumming. Or out another way, wind rather than percussion. Just a thought, maybe not a good one. :)

I assume you got this thing cheap!

#4 ·
Yeah, the sound is not as distinct in the recording as it is in real life, especially with the breeze we had yesterday. To me does sound like a popping sound and definitely nothing mechanical.

I did buy it at a very good price but I have put quite a lot of money and time into it!

#3 ·
Is the noise that lower tone where you can here it better when you walked to the back of the truck?

#5 ·
The sound is best isolated when I am at the back of the truck. Its that popping/ bongo sound that can clearly be heard from the 50-58 second mark in the video. It can also be clearly heard at the 8-18 second mark when Im on the driver side of the engine bay.

Thanks guys for your replies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.