Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

FICM Repair - Need Help with Problems

950 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sjsche 
#1 ·
OK, so my FICM was going out. I attempted to repair it via the repair methods on the web. I put everything back together and now I am experiencing some new problems. I am getting a U0105 DTC. The Ex tried to crank at first, but now all I get is the starter and no signs of truck wanting to crank. I assume this can be attributed to a bad repair job on the FICM, but has anyone experienced any of this? Please help if you can, thanks.

John

#2 ·
FICM Resolder

Sorry your post got overlooked.
FICM's in 03 and 04 had this problem often. I have seldom seen it 05 and later.
FICM's are mass produced and are probably soldered by a robotic machine.

When a man goes to resolder it you need a high end soldering iron and small diameter electronic solder, that $14.95 radio shack iron really isn't going to cut it

You need a iron that gets hot quick and you need to just touch the solder point for just a few seconds or you run the risk of heating the board and maybe loosening up something else close by.

This is not really a job for a rank amature,ya gotta be good and quick or you can cause more problems than you origionally haad.

Good luck

#3 ·
Danny,

Thanks for the feedback. I have a new half shell coming that should be here today. I am going to install it tonight and see if that takes care of it. The biggest concern I have is that the truck isn't trying to crank, just getting the starter spinning. But I suppose that the breakdown in communication from the FICM could cause a lot of problems down the line within the truck's system. I hope it turns into an easy fix because driving the wife's volvo is killing me. I'll keep you posted.

John

#4 ·
How did you know the FICM was failing? If you can check the voltage, what was it after your fix?

I think the common problem with surface mounted resistors shaking loose is an issue well beyond 2004. I had to do my 2006 at about 110k miles.

For clarity, "cranking" typically refers to the starter spinning the engine. It sound like yours cranks fine but never even hints at firing. That is consistent with low FICM voltage, or a dead FICM due to damage. Do the injectors still clatter when you first set the key on to warm the glow plugs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.