Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

truck dies in gear

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  yooper906 
#1 ·
Have an 06 f250, stock. 200xxxmiles. Truck dies when put in drive or reverse. Not every time but often. No codes. Keor test gives p1780. Took shifter off and unplugged still dies. Also have an engine code p0299. Has new ep sensor and tube.new egr valve and new map sensor. Runs great, when it stays running lol.

#2 ·
P0299 and is a sticking turbo, a stuck turbo depending on where can cause a stall. It can also blow head gaskets too. Fix it before you drive more. Could be other reasons for that code too, but first guess with the symptoms.

1780 could be since you disconnected the shifter. If not, it could indicate a problem with the transmission or the range selector. Clear the codes and see what comes back. If the 1780 doesn't return, go back to the turbo.

#3 ·
I agree that a stuck turbo could stall it. But it shuts off instantly, no sputtering or anything. I'm wondering if the crank sensor is loosing signal when the rpm drops when first put into gear, cause if the rpms r held just a little higher than idle it will not die...

#4 ·
I agree that a stuck turbo could make it stall, but it doesn't sputter or anything. Just instant off. I'm wondering if the crank sensor is loosing signal when the rpm drops when put in gear? If you keep the rpms up just a little above idle it will never stall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.