Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sounds like a bucket of bolts when I go to start it

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mygt8a4re 
#1 ·
It happens mostly when it sits in the sun these warm days. When I go to start it I cycle the glow plugs then turn the key to start it, the starter cranks over fine, when it wants to start it sounds as if it is firing in the wrong sequence or something, sounds really bad. So I shut it off and try again, glow plugs, crank it and it will usually start right. It has done it for a while now but now it is happening quite often.

#2 ·
Sounds like injector stiction to me, start treating your fuel. Do a search on injector stiction, you can read for weeks! Best of luck!

#4 ·
If you have had good success with your current additive it may not be a stiction issue. I went there 1st as thats the easiest place to start. Next in line is injector fault or premature failure. Then standpipes/dummy plugs or oil leaking next. The list can get big.

Personally I use Archoil, but that doesnt mean it will fix your issues. If you have been religious about your fuel additives on fill ups as well as oil change block addatives you may be leaning to the next thing in line. Wich, if only rough temporarily at start up, could lead to faulty injector(s). But as I stated, the list goes on into everything injector related wich is not only additives, or fuel, but oil pressures as well. Im sure you ran across the posts over the years. A good diesel mechanic with good diagnostic skills makes the end result much more affordable. Trust me, I always start at the forums and move into pockets from there as well. Its common sense....

#6 ·
bgraiders, you should have posted the pre Archoil treatment vid as well.....that way anyone can compare the rough idle to thier personal experiences as well.

(quote mygt8a4re): "Personally I use Archoil, but that doesnt mean it will fix your issues. If you have been religious about your fuel additives on fill ups as well as oil change block addatives you may be leaning to the next thing in line. Wich, if only rough temporarily at start up, could lead to faulty injector(s). But as I stated, the list goes on into everything injector related wich is not only additives, or fuel, but oil pressures as well." (end quote)

Reactions: bgraiders323
#7 ·
I can't say I do use PS 100% of the time but more like 19 out of 20 at fill ups, I have forgot once or twice or so. The last two oil changes have been Rotella Synthetic. I have never heard of Archoil, where do you guys get it? I have tried putting 2.5 gal of vegetable oil along with 35 gal of diesel in the last two previous fill ups because I read that the VO was good for lubricating the injectors but I did not notice any change. I also read 2 cycle oil but I haven't tried that.

#8 ·
Archoil was originally sold at EvergreenAmerica but can now be found on Ebay and Amazon as well. There is stuff for your fuel and for your oil (AR9100 and AR6200). I swear by it & love it!

alot use 2 stroke oil as a lubricant because it is also a fuel, I have never run vegetable oil, sounds risky to me...

Reactions: bgraiders323
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.