Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 run away engine.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  emilio 
#1 ·
What would cause a 6.0 engine suck up all the oil and shoot it out the exhaust.The engine also rev'ed up so high for a 15 seconds it hit the rev limiter. We turned the truck off but the engine kept running till it was all out of oil. We let the truck sit for about an hour then put in more oil and it started up but smoked like a train. Oil tripping out the exhaust.:confused:

#2 ·
Myself I have never seen a 6.0 run away YET but I can see several ways it could. I have also read a few reports of it happening.

I have seen it on larger older engines, mainly Detroits they have no intake valves and get their air from a air box thru ports in the cylinders themselves.
They can run on pure crank case oil sucked out of that air box.
Also EMD's will do it also, same basic design.

If the ccv or CAC is oil saturated it can run off of that, you don't even need the injectors working at all if it is wound up tight and makeing lots of compression.

A diesel can run on just about anything that is combustible. Remember it is combustion ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.