Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Carbon Build Up in Intake System

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Seattle60 
#1 ·
I've embarked on a bulletproofing project in the past couple of days on my 2005 F250. My issue is in regards to the carbon build up within the intake system resulting from the egr and the CCV. Upon removing the intake manifold, I discovered some pretty serious gunk throughout the manifold. I have cleaned out the intake manifold itself and it's looking a thousand times better, but there was not only gunk inside of the manifold, but into the intake ports on the block as well... What should I do about the gunk on the ports??:dunno:

One of the ideas that has been suggested to me was to get a shop vac and scrape the build up around the ports up into the vac with a screw driver.

Should I try to get the gunk out? Should I not worry about it and move on? Or a third option which will likely occur anyway... Should I run the hell out of it when back together in an effort to clear it out?

#2 ·
I say you do an IPR EGR delete. Since youve already cleaned the intake manifold, also do the ccv mod. As for the cabron in the ports.....just drive the crap out of your truck and dont worry about. because the best way to clean that up is to have the heads off

DO NOT!!! scrap with a screwdriver you can gouge the ports and create hot spots.

Use a phonolic scraper. but i wouldnt worry about it.

You should look into a ported manifold from WPE

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply, guys. I was kind of wary of the screw driver idea myself, but not knowing how big of a deal the carbon build up was, it seemed like the only option.

As for what's in store for the truck, it's getting an egr delete, oil cooler replacement, stc fitting upgrade, dummy plugs and stand pipes, ccv reroute, blue spring mod, coolant filter, and an updated oil drain tube (not really sure my year truck needed that) and a few custom tunes.

#7 ·
Yeap I second that. Taking the turbo out once in a while is enough 'fun'. Go ahead and replace the intake gaskets.

I'm not sure if you have it already but I would throw on a simple bypass cooler filtration system. It's 150 bucks but pretty worth it with all the crud it pulls out of the coolant.

If your intake is pretty gunked up I would assume the turbo is dirty as well. It's a 1-2 hour clean up job and makes as big difference if it hasn't been done in awhile, or at all.

There is stickies on it. Just one more thing to get taken care of while she's already apart.

Have fun with the new tune!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.