A bad day - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A bad day

Long story short bottom radiator hose came off i'm not sure how long its been off today b/c i check level before i hooked up to my trailer 6am or so I get about 5 miles from the house about 7pm and the tranny was geting a little warm but i was hauling about 22k on the trailer was doing about 65mph or so then i heard this noise sound like something boiling so i pulled over check for nose under the hood every thing looked fine got about 2 blocks from the house and the truck acted like it did not want to shift would only let me do 10 mph I hold the gas to the floor no power at all i hear the boiling sound again got to the house saw smoke comin from the hood opened checked water level bone dry look under the hood and the bottem radiator hose is off i'm kinda like i turn the truck off let it cool for about 30 min's hook the hose back up fill the radiator up its so hot it brings the water back up boiling start the truck to let everything circulate for about 20 min's.

Truck run's fine now i just hope the head is not cracked
goes in gear fine rpm are right ..temps are good. Truck temp never went above 180 but with no water you have not temp...trannys temp was like 250 but engine lights on and these are the code sct found......

P0263 Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0197 EOT Sensor Circuit Low Input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Smile

Well took the truck to the ford dealer they told me looks like the water pumps going out coolant coming out the weep hole leaking from under the fan. Guy told me there diesel guy would not be back till tomorrow or the next day. I would think they would have more then just one guy but who know's

Got the water pump from auto zone for 60 + 10 for the core and going to cost me 500 bucks to get ford to put it on that sounds kinda high to me so I'm try and do it my self 1st time putting one on a ford looks like a lot of work. If anyone could shed some light on this i would appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So how did this go from the hose coming off to a water pump?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well seems that the water leaked out from the water pump and some how might have blew the bottom hose off which would explain why the tranny temp went up and smoke from the engine. Other then that I could not tell you only if while I was putting the bottom hose on about a week ago it came lose last night which I really don't think happen b/c I've been pulling a 40ft trailer with about 16-24k on it all week.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh, so the the water pump leaked all of the water out and then the truck got hot and blew the hose off.....got it. Glad you figured it out
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok ill just say that the whole problem of my truck was one coolant hose came off and overheated.

head cracked, cyl cracked, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, this and that, oil cooler went out. i did the water pump cause it was leakin.

now i dont know what went out when it happed but thats most of what i had to fix. and engine should be done being rebuilt this fri i hope.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh dam sorry to hear about that man could you tell the head was cracked and everything was wrong with it or did you take it in? b/c my truck it seem's to be runing fine. I thought if a head is cracked 1. you would know it after the truck is running at normal temp and the truck would start shaking 2. if you saw alot of water(coolant) coming out of your tailpipe. I cleared my codes with the sct and engine light went off and no codes have come back on so I'm hopein my head did not crack and have not saw any shaking or coolant coming out the tail pipe.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

well i also found out that the tstat was bad and a few mild overheats, i got a lot of white smokin. but the weird think is that it didnt show any engine performance issues when it was doing that. and i put like 30mi on it when it was doin it.

ya it was cracked next to the exhaust valve on cyl 3 and 5 in the same spot.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would your engine light stay on? now with what you just said I'm not sure if i should take it back to the ford dealer or not. Money is tight with me right now i'm not trying to mess the truck up anymore if there is a problem.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsanders6oh View Post
trannys temp was like 250

thats bad. smell the tranny fluid

but engine lights on and these are the code sct found......

P0263 Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0197 EOT Sensor Circuit Low Input
email a tech to see what he says. it might be a bad injector but i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsanders6oh View Post
Would your engine light stay on? now with what you just said I'm not sure if i should take it back to the ford dealer or not. Money is tight with me right now i'm not trying to mess the truck up anymore if there is a problem.
ford would charge ya an arm and a leg for stuff for that. is it under warrenty? but the light needs addressed. hmmm

Last edited by Jarrod B; 01-21-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.