Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 6.0, high boost+loss of power+limp mode(?)

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  john galt 
#1 ·
I have an 05 6.0 that is having some issues. I've read into this a bit and am led to believe its probably a dirty turbo, but would like to confirm other people's suspicions.

Back story on the truck:
EGR delete, Heads studded, 5" turbo-back, K&N CAI, hot tunes

the truck does sit quite a bit, usually about 5-6 days at a time. I'll take it out occasionally and run errands with it, drop off my daughter to school, give it 2 or 3 good WOT runs to work things out, and park it again.

Randomly after taking a short jaunt around town yesterday, the truck started to act strange. It had been functioning normally before. I had only parked the truck for about 3 hours and then on the next startup it went a little goofy, as follows:

It will build boost quickly, and straight up to 30 PSI. If I'm a little aggressive on the throttle but not WOT, the truck seems to still have a bit of pep but sounds different(still showing between 30-35 PSI). I tried WOT a few times to see if it was going to respond...and it just didn't seem to pull any harder. It was dark out, so I couldn't tell if it was smoking or not. On one of the WOT runs, when the truck hit the shift point....it instead redlined, stumbled, shifted aggressively and then the truck shut itself down(yikes, 37's are not fun without power steering!). Shifted into neutral and restarted the truck while it was rolling and everything went right back into action as it was. I'm guessing the truck threw itself into limp mode? On the third WOT attempt, it did the same thing, but I got off the skinny pedal before it could bang into the next gear and likely shut itself down on the highway again. Also, every time I let off the throttle under boost now, it will "turbo fart/Turbo belch". It would rarely do this before.

At idle, I cant really hear much difference. The truck has always had a really strong whistle at idle. During driving though the truck seems like it's choking a bit.

I inspected all of the boots and lines from the turbo outlet to the Intake Manifold inlet. All seems to be well in that regard. The truck has NO EGR, so we can rule that out. The ONLY codes that are thrown are for the EGR system. I do think that its a possibility that the cable leading into the EGR solenoid might be in pretty rough shape, as it looks beat. I will look into that for sure.

Do others think this sounds like a sticking solenoid or the VGT internals may be rusted/sooted in place? Any other ideas of what to investigate?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not a turbo guru or anything ...
BUT....
If I were to guess I would say maybe your vanes are stuck wide open making it spool weird? and messing with your computer / tune?
really just a guess but a bump at least :thumb:
:bump: :D
perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself will respond

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.