Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 f250 intermittent no start

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ShiZor9 
#1 ·
So this all started about a week ago. Drove it to work, got home, showered, went to grab some dinner and a no start. Day after this I went on vacation for a week. Get back Saturday evening. Don't even try to start it until Sunday, and I drive it 30+ miles doing errands and stuff, no issues.
Problem starts again yesterday leaving the store on my way home. Nothing, just cranks.
And again this morning either.
Batteries at 12.7+ when crank ficm 47.5V+ when cranking too. Wiggled wires for about an hour yesterday in the parking and didn't start until I reseated the fuel cap. Today, nothing. Even tried returning the tune to stock and put it back on too. But when it finally started I drove it straight home, and it didn't have one issue.

Any ideas? I'm thinking crank sensor or wiring chafing somewhere. I have the Torque app to monitor everything.

#2 ·
Can torque check for Sync? It sounds like to me you are having a chaffing problem or one of your sensors are intermittent. Check the wire that runs down by your fuel filter housing straight down to the cam sensor, give it a few shakes and see if anything changes. Also, Check the plugs on your FICM and make sure they are seated properly.

#4 ·
I don't believe Torque can see crank/cam sync. I may be wrong though.

I took my Mustang to work so it'll have to wait til I get home to see. Where else do I check for chafing if it is fuel related? Car hasn't stalled on me since I replaced ICP harness and had a EGR delete done with a tune..

#5 ·
So, it starts after wiggling some wiring around close to the oil filter adapter and finding something that looks like it is being grounded on a stud and placing it on a bolt head that is close to it. So I'm not totally sure what I wiggled since I'd try to start it every 5 minutes after playing with it.

Also there is a connector next to the oil filter adapter that seems really loose like it isn't clicking on all of the way, but I believe it is the oil temp sensor, so I'll need to do some research or post a picture when I get home tonight.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok I am going to try and give you some places to look(I wish I knew how to put arrows on my pictures).

The big harness that is running over the drivers side front valve cover, make sure you have a bolt in the top front valve cover bolt hole, not a stud. If any previous repairs were done and they mixed them up it will cause chaffing and shorts. Check for chaffing on the harness, it happens there. The pigtail for your cam sensor also comes out of this harness and drops straight down riht next to your ebp sensor, check that wire as well. Give it a few shakes and see if you can get it to crank up, while running go shake the cam sensor wire and see if it stalls or sputters. The pictures I have are not the best but I will do what I can to help you track it down.

Attachments

#8 ·
The truck has started (3) times since wiggling the wires and putting what looks like a grounding clip on the stud on the passenger side close to the valve cover and EGR heat shield. Drove it to work today to see if I could replicate the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.