Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How long can I drive with a bad oil cooler?

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Heavy_GD 
#1 ·
Title says it all. My oil cooler is going bad and I know this because I'm seeing temp differences above the limit of 15*. However there is no oil in the coolant, I haven't lost any coolant, no white smoke, etc. I talked to a mechanic today about installing a delete kit and new oil cooler but he said it would be at least 3-4 weeks before he can probably get me in. He said as long as I don't tow or run the engine too hard and I watch my temps closer I shouldn't have any issues if I waited that long. Would anyone on this forum second that opinion? Or should it be fixed sooner? I need the truck everyday to drive to work across town which requires highway driving.

#3 ·
Temps are in the range of 15-25*. Highest temp I've seen was 220 and that was after driving awhile around town and on the highway returning home. The type of driving I do really has just been going to an from work. I'm on the highway for a good majority of the trip (total 22 miles one way) with occaisional rush hour traffic in the afternoon. In the morning the temps are within normal range and maybe 16 but it's only within the heat of the day when it gets that hot. Truck is not towing or is tuned. It is bone stock

#6 ·
I was in your situation a month or two ago. Mine was clogged and I was getting 30 degree deltas. Like you, I would drive 20 freeway miles to and from work plus a couple of extra miles in town. The only other thing I would suggest is that you do the full coolant flush (follow the sticky) before you do a new oil cooler, that way all the rust/scale/silicon/sand/etc etc gets stuck in your old cooler. I did the full flush on mine (it takes a really long time to do but worth it) and the EOT went down about 5-10 degrees. Post coolant flush I would also get a coolant filter installed at least a hundred miles before your new oil cooler. Let all that junk get stuck in the old one. Now with my new oil cooler my delta's are 4-5 degrees and my oil temp squats at about 198-199. I can only make it go to 203-204 if I really romp on the skinny pedal.

#7 ·
These coolers fail in 4 ways. They put water in the oil, they put oil in the coolant, they plug up with jell from the wrong coolant or old coolant, and they bust the hot oil side and put uncooled oil in the hpop reservoir.. the last one is very expensive as the hpop and injectors will fail from overheating. If your engine is suffering from injector sticking, you have overheated them to the point of damaging the bores and pistons in them. And, don't try and save money with a cheap cooler, you will be doing the job again.. Ford only on this item...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.