Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Weird ICP problem

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  eddie06f350harley 
#1 · (Edited)
ok Guys ill try to make this short n simple
so i got a 06 6.0 that came on the hook, with a crank no start when hot, well i did the shop air test at icp sensor connector and nothing no leaks, only have 300psi when hot, i have good power when on but after reaching normal op temp no start

parts replaced

icp sensor and connector
ipr valve
updated stand pipes and d plugs
updated stc fitting new with orings
new high pressure pump
new front cover with g pump

so after all those parts being replaced performed the air test and nothing can't hear squat,
and yes the ipr is being powered when testing
thanks guys

#6 ·
I had a similar issue, however mine wouldn't start when cold either..

Turned out I had a bad IPR from Ford.. I did the air test and same thing.. couldn't hear squat.

I made sure my plug for my IPR had 12volts when key on engine off, and when cranking..

IF yours is having an issue when hot, get it warmed up so that it will act up, then unplug your IPR, make a power lead for it, close it manually by hooking it up to 12 volts, and see if it will start...

I did that and mine fired right up.. after about 10 seconds it will start running like chit, so be ready to turn it off.... I saw it said you replaced your IPR, so did I, with 2 of them before I got a good one. All where Ford ones from the dealership... :doh:

#17 ·
ok guys riddle me this one>>>

so we ended replacing the engine with another engine that the customer had! and to my surprise same freaking problem come to normal operating temp, this truck sends me to hell, i get stuck with 28psi-200-psi ice, their is no way 2 engines have the same problem with the same icp psi build up. especially since i stated before the other engine had a complete icp update reseal. ohh and this engine came with its own harness and sensors, so i tried 2 separate ecu's from same year trucks and no luck, I'm really now dead in the water anyone experience this before?

#18 ·
First off this is a 6.0...it is entirely possible that 2 different motors have the same issue. This is a common issue to have on a 6.0
Second, I wouldn't have replaced the motor with figuring the problem out. This is the definition of "Throwing Parts at it".
Need to diagnose the problem first then replace parts. There has to be a reason the there is no pressure hot. If it air tests out I would lean toward bad IPR. They have been bad out of the box before ALOT!!! What parts if any were swapped to the "new" engine? Also why did the customer just happen to have an engine sitting around, and does he/she know the history of that engine?? Lot of variables here.

#20 ·
Was it a complete drop in engine? You didn't swap in any of the other parts off the old engine?

At this point if you've swapped all new components with the new engine you need to start over with your diagnosis. You might have traded one issue out with a new one by swapping the engines. I'd start over with your diagnosis.

The reason I say this is that it almost sounded like you might have had a base engine oil pressure issue with the original engine. The PCM doesn't monitor low oil pressure at all so if that was the issue you were chasing high pressure oil issues when it might not have been the problem.

Now that you've just thrown parts at it you need to start over with what is going on with it.

#22 ·
ok guys so thanks for your knowledge replies, ok here we go, the customer buys trucks for his business, he had a rollover truck that he had boughten. i ran the truck before i pulled the engine and it ran perfect no problems and started after being hot, and plus i was not throwing parts at it, the customer wanted me to do the swap. so with that being said, i think theres something going on here, because for example, the previous engine that was in before pulled, when accel the rpm would fluctuate but still accel, and with the new engine it does the exact same thing, theirs gotta be something causing mirror concerns

#23 ·
ok guys so thanks for your knowledge replies, ok here we go, the customer buys trucks for his business, he had a rollover truck that he had boughten. i ran the truck before i pulled the engine and it ran perfect no problems and started after being hot, and plus i was not throwing parts at it, the customer wanted me to do the swap. so with that being said, i think theres something going on here, because for example, the previous engine that was in before pulled, when accel the rpm would fluctuate but still accel, and with the new engine it does the exact same thing, theirs gotta be something causing mirror concerns
This sounds more electrical. Not trying to piss you off but just swapping the motor (even if the customer said to do it) IS throwing parts at it. Granted you are doing what your were told to do so not your issue.

Back to the electrical issue. Have you double checked all ground connections are tight and correct? When you fluctuate what do you mean...like misfiring or just feels like it has a hard time getting up to speed?

#26 ·
What he said on the fluctuation issue^^....but that doesn't explain the hot starts. The only other thing you could do is install a manual gauge where the ICP sensor is and see what the Oil pressure is (mostly to confirm that it is only 28-200) If it is I would lean towards the IPR. It is the only thing that can dump the pressure. This is assuming there is NO air leaks at all. Did you ever try the air test I posted about forcing the oil out with air then closing the IPR?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.