Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

High Oil, Coolant, and Trans Temp

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ZCMiller 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 05 crew cab dually with 98,000 miles. I just had the egr deleted (but zip tied up and plugged in) and have been monitoring with my SCT Livewire TS and am currently running the performance SCT tune. While making a few short hauls moving cattle the truck began to heat up. I had oil temps peak at 240, coolant at 235, and transmission heated up to 208. What or where should I start looking for issues?

This truck has ran hotter than my previous 6.0 since I bought it but I don't want temps this hot. The coolant appears to be changed out to ELC red coolant by the previous owner and he said that it had been studded and new head gaskets installed but I saw the day I test drove that it had bolts instead so I am not sure if it really has new gaskets. I also believe it has an upgraded FICM because the Livewire shows 54.5 volts at all times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Tuned back to stock and drove empty to work this morning. EGR deleted no CEL even when unplugged. Trans maxed out at 159, EOT at 202, and ECT at 192. Would a clogged oil cooler cause all of these temperatures to be as high as they were towing?

#13 · (Edited)
I think you mean Degas Cap? If you take a picture of it I can tell you if it's the latest one. I would get the updated one anyway because they are only 10$

As for as EOT/ECT, I can ony speak to a 'non tuned' engine. But I just did a full flush (the full day kind with restore and plus) and replaced the oil cooler and thermostat for good measure. And with just plain old distilled water I would see EOT=196, ECT=194. Even flying up the pass highway at steep grade going 75+ I wouldn't get it to go over 200 for the oil.

In my opinion/experience a clogged oil cooler would be at fault when your coolant temp is 190's and your oil temp is 220's.

I would also put a pressure gauge on the coolant system to see what the PSI build is.

Since your temp delta's aren't way off I would try and isolate some of the cooling system and do a flush. If he lied about the studs (which is a pretty big lie) he is probably not telling the truth about the coolant flush. I would change it, however, I would be a little nervous about doing so and clogging an otherwise fine oil cooler.

#6 ·
Most likely going to be a fan clutch that is not operating properly... possible side effect of the egr delete or circuit problem. Maybe just a bad fan clutch.

#8 ·
you could look at it if it looks like billet aluminum thats a sign

look for a sticker otherwise you would need to monitor voltage to see what it puts out and as far as tuned ? IDK how to verify that ??

Edit maybe ask the PO as you are beating his as.s for lying about the studs ? LOL

#9 ·
I was running the SCT Performance tune when I first bought my 05 too and ended up doing some emergency towing. Doing an uphill pull, my EOT hit 220 before I let off the throttle and let it cool off a bit. I'm guessing that it's not the best to run the performance tune when using the truck for any serious towing, especially cattle in your case. I'd run street or the towing tune or, better yet, buy some custom tunes. Makes a world of a difference both towing and on the street.

As far as your temps remaining high on a stock tune and your SCT showing 54.5v, my guess is that you've definitely got an upgraded FICM. Tuned? I've got no idea as far as how to tell that unless you have receipts, but I have heard of a 54v FICM. Mine is 48v and reads 48v on my Livewire, so I'd say that yours is probably 54v. If it's tuned, that might explain the high EOT and Coolant temps. As far as the trans goes, mine stays around 150-160 tuned or stock. 200 is probably a little high, not sure how to explain that unless its a coolant issue causing everything.

#11 ·
Well I want rid of this "fancy" FICM. My previous truck had a stock one and would pull fine without issues so I don't think I need it. Any way to go back to stock without actually replacing it? I didn't really want to be dumping money in right off the bat.

#12 ·
Tuned back to stock and drove empty to work this morning. EGR deleted no CEL even when unplugged. Trans maxed out at 159, EOT at 202, and ECT at 192. Would a clogged oil cooler cause all of these temperatures to be as high as they were towing?

Those numbers are perfectly normal, try towing in stock and see where your temps go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.