Any idea what this noise might be? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any idea what this noise might be?

Truck is a í05 4x4 supercab with about 21,500 miles on it. Automatic tranny, manual hubs. Entirely stock truck (except tinted cab lights and windows which certainly wouldnít cause any noise)

I noticed a noise while driving yesterday and have no idea what it is from so Iím hoping someone on here might know.
The sound occurs after I remove my foot from the accelerator peddle, between the RPM ranges of about 1700 to 2400. Below 1700 I donít hear it and above 2400 I donít hear it, not sure if its just because the engine/exhaust drowns out the sound at the higher RPMs
When I step off the accelerator pedal, I only hear the sound for maybe 2 seconds, probably less time really.

It sounds like something is rubbing, like I want to say what a radiator fan would sound like if it where just barely rubbing on the shroud. I only hear the sound for about 6 times though when I get off the pedal, its not a constant sounds, like something is spinning and hitting something, but the radiator fan I think would be making more sound as it should be spinning fast than that.
It is not very loud but is noticeable, just ~6 really quick sounds in rapid succession.

I also donít hear the sound if Iím in neutral or park and stepping on the accelerator pedal, its only when Iím driving that I hear the sound.

I first noticed it yesterday near the end of my ~35 minute commute to work, on the way home, I heard it for about the first 25 minutes of the ride home, then it stopped making the noise. I heard it again on my way to work this morning. Iíll see if I hear it again on my way home tonight. I just donít know what it might be.

At first I thought it was turbo fart, not really sure what that is from or what it sounds like on a stock truck, but I have heard of the term and saw a video on youtube a long time ago

There are no warning lights on the dash and the truck seems to be running and driving fine though. Its been cold the past few days(in the 20ís). The block heater comes on a few hours before I head to work, during the day while at work it is not plugged in. I donít have a code reader at my disposal.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what it might be?

Thanks
Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine has been making mystery sounds too and its really starting to piss me off. Ive got my eye on the vacuum pump. check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.