Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Normal Oil and coolant temps?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sjsche 
#1 ·
I've been noticing on my scangauge that my oil temperatures today were a little hot. They got up to 216 degrees and my coolant (I have Motorcraft gold. It has 18k miles on it and was added in 2/2013) got to 208 degrees. It was 95 degrees outside and my FICM is weak so it feels like I have a load behind me. Is that related for the oil temps being that high? Also I need to change the coolant but I don't know a good brand to use.

#2 ·
You are going to get lots of great opinions. All have their merits and when you get done reading through them, you'll still be left with a personal decision.

My temps typically stay even or within 5 degrees between 192-200; in the summer heat of Virginia. Towing, the highest spread I have seen with my truck has been 10 degrees for a a few minutes.

I use gold coolant with a coolant filter and dump it about every 18 months and change the filter. Every truck is different , every owner is different. What works for some folks , may not work for others.

There! Clear as mud!

Good luck

#3 ·
I'll see about a 10-12 degree spread normally going down the highway on a hot day or if I have been driving for awhile including getting on the the highway after sitting in traffic. I do not tow nor do I tune my truck. Most I ever do with it is road trips and WOT runs. The FICM is kind of weak so it feels like I have a load. Probably explains a little of the high temps.

#4 ·
I replaced a FICM that was ranging 32-42 volts a while back 10/2012 and my temps have always been the same both before and after.

#6 ·
Take care of the ficm before it bites you in the pocket book. I would suggest ficmrepair.com or for the ultimate fix go with the bullet proof diesel ficm.

#8 ·
Update.. This morning it was 80 degrees out when I left for work. Driving down the highway, I got 192 oil/187 coolant. This afternoon, it was 95 degrees and driving home it got pretty hot. The oil got to 213 and the coolant got to 207. This is all stock and there was no load. The oil temp would begin to drop after about 7+ degrees of delta. The thermometer on the dash didn't indicate anything out of the ordinary though. Don't understand why it's running THIS hot.

#12 ·
I agree with nyc-f350(cant remember your name) it still under the 15* "danger zone*. Ive been running 15-25 deltas for a.few months but watching everything else close. Havent had an issue.
You should be fine. But keep an eye on ambient temps as well as both temps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
UPDATE! I replaced my oil cooler and everything is better and oil isn't getting as hot now. And it's taking longer to get hot even in the afternoon sun. Max I've ever seen delta wise was 12 degrees and that was just for a few seconds. I've got some sort of ELC coolant guaranteed to 300k miles. Ambulance mechanic installed oil cooler and delete for me.

#18 ·
Yes, diff between oil temp and coolant. If oil is more than 15 above coolant then it's time to start thinking about the oil cooler and EGR cooler as well. If marginal and you haven't already, consider a thorough flush and fill with a proper ELC coolant, not the junk Ford sells you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.