Block heater problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block heater problem

So my truck hates the cold more then I do, so all winter long she is plugged in when the temps drop below freezing just to make it start easier. Well I got back from NYC last night, PBR was well worth it, and plugged her in and this morning went to start her and I noticed that the glow plugs were on for a while. So I turned on my Six gun and looked and the engine temp was 33. Usually it is in the 80's with the block heater. After moving my truck and parking it again I plugged it back in and checked the outlet. The GFIC had popped. So i reset it and went back into the house . An hour later I came out and the coolant temp was warming up so I went back in. Just now I went out and the GFIC was popped again. This time no matter what I do it pops as soon as I plug the truck in. I have changed extension cords and have gone to other outlets with the same out come. What could be doing this all of a sudden a split wire? I really don't want to have to call the dealer, at $85/hr it is going to be expensive. Anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your cord is most likely damaged. You can either replace the cord. Or cut about a 1ft back from the plug on the cord. Then you can put a replacement plug on from the hardware store.

The cord usually is bad from the plugging and unplugging of the cord.

There is a mod to do that eliminates this whole thing but I forget the name of it.

Basically you go to a a boat store. Get a plug for a boat so you can plug the extension cord into that. This eliminates the pulling on the cord.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanks I will look into that I am realy confused why the truck just started to have problems but that is how things go
Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Premium Member

I think.....

So I feel a little stupid ending this thread just about as soon as I started it but I think that I found the problem. The 110v plug end of the block heater is a cord that is about a foot long and it plugs into "the wiring harness" for the block heater. I am not sure of the actual name but that is what I think it is. Where the two plug in together there is a flat three configuration and it seems that there was some ice and "stuff" build up inside of the connection. I pulled it apart and hosed each side down with WD40 because I didn't want to use something flammable and have it arc and catch my truck on fire. After the WD bath, laying on the ice covered frozen ground, I plugged everything together and it worked. Not sure if this is a fix or if I am just I will see how long this "fix" last this morning everything is up to temp and I am very happy because it was in the teens last night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.