Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tons of black smoke after EGR valve cleaning?

17K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  johnnybgood 
#1 · (Edited)
Rundown of what's going on:
Pulled and cleaned my egr valve yesterday. Had a check engine light and P1335 code. Top portion of valve was caked and completely filled. Bottom was alright. Everything was nice and dry carbon. Cleaned easy enough.

Now I get train rolling, thick black smoke from any throttle position except when really getting on it. It's bad enough to be embarrassing to drive. Everything on my monitor is the same as always. EGR % values move about the same as they did before.

I'm running the Atlas 80 ficm tune. There was always a small, slight haze/puff of black when starting out with any throttle position, which cleared up with just a couple psi of boost. This was before and after the CEL came on for p1335. Now that the valve is clean, it's pouring out thick and doesn't clear up until it shifts to the next gear and gets going some. I will be switching to the atlas 40 and stock ficm tune later to see if that makes any difference.

The acceleration also feels mushy(if that makes any sense) while its pouring out the smoke.

This morning while driving with the engine cold/warming up, the egr % was at 0, as it is every drive till it warms up, and NO smoke at all, just like usual.

My question/s:
Is this normal after a cleaning?
Is it just the broken up carbon running through? I've only put about 7 miles on it since i've cleaned it.
Is this normal now that more exhaust gases might be flowing into the intake?
Will unplugging the EGR valve turn it off and not let exhaust gases into the intake?

Thanks for reading. I'll get a pic/vid during lunch. I miss my clean running X. :look:

See less See more
#2 ·
I can try to answer the first 3 questions:

1. This is definitely not normal. When you cleaned the valve before did it look like there could have been any way that it was stuck closed?
2. I would think that any broken up carbon would have disappeared almost right after startup.
3.There should not be anymore gasses flowing in than before. The main point of EGR valve cleaning is to prevent it from sticking open and allowing exhaust gas to pour back into the intake.

Did the CEL go away after cleaning? Are you sure that it was pressed down all the way into the intake and that you plugged it back in?

#3 ·
1. Didn't think it was normal. It moved pretty easily after I was done cleaning it. When dirty, I could see a slight gap/light where it wouldn't close all the way. It seems like it sealed up good and tight after clean.

2. Same here. I vacuumed it out for a second just in case to.

3. Makes sense.

I cleared the code with the torque app. Hasn't came back on yet.

There's someone on here selling a new egr valve. I might buy it to try out. Maybe my valve just went bad? Maybe I got some carb cleaner in those two little holes at the top?

#4 ·
I'll be pulling the valve back out today. Maybe something wedged it open? :dunno:

Got some videos to. I sure hope this isn't the trucks new norm now.

First vid is a slow accel into my neighborhood. Barely giving it gas.

Second vid is normal acceleration, not even half throttle.

Third vid is me getting on it. Coming out of the turn, I smoothly laid into it at about the 4 second mark, almost full throttle.

Went from a nice slight haze before boost came on, to this ^ WTF?!?

#6 ·
Yep, opened the valve and cleaned both seating surfaces. And ya, a nice loud SNAP when I pulled the screwdriver out. Loud enough where my buddy and I laughed aloud, and said, "yep, it's sealed."

I was thinking earlier that maybe I accidently leaned on the cac pipe, tearing or pulling one of the boots out, causing a boost leak. But I figured the truck would run funky if that was the case.

I'm going to pull the valve out now and check over some things. Be back in 20. LoL

#8 ·
Yes, new gasket and orings. Had blue on the previous, has orange orings now. Same looking gasket. I put duct tape over the holes, and didn't submerge that part in the cleaner. Spray could have made its way in and ruined the valve. Only thing I can think of now.

Just got done pulling it back out. Looked fine. Everything still intact. Pretty dirty for only three ten minute trips. Sprayed it down again real quick.
Before:

After:

#9 ·
Changed ficm tunes, still smokey, went to stock, a little less smoke, but still more then I'm happy with. I'm buying the new egr valve that sprksonu here is selling. Hopefully that does the trick. :please:

#12 · (Edited)
I'm buying the new egr valve that sprksonu here is selling. Hopefully that does the trick. :please:
good i was going to point you in that direction I almost bought it myself just for the deal LOL

i cant figure what your deal is if it's snapping shut it seems like it wouldn't cause an issue

did i see if you tried just running it unplugged for a test run ?

#11 ·
I use the torque pro app. Yes I watch boost. Saw 18 or 19psi on that last video I put up. Not quite a full throttle run. I'll pay alittle more attention next time. I'm only looking at the boots off the turbo and into the intercooler, they look fine. Might check and re-tighten them. I could have leaned on it and not noticed. I would think the truck would run rough or choppy. I've only dealt with big boost leaks tho, blowing couplers completely off, so the car wouldn't even run.

Just unplugged my batteries for about 10 minutes. Maybe something in the ecm will get fully cleared incase the torque app didn't get it.

#14 ·
Looks like she's back to normal! I didn't really think it would do anything but disconnecting the batteries did the trick! Running clean, smooth, and peppier then ever. Back to the nice small puff at takeoff from the atlas 80, which clears up with @ 2psi boost.

I told sprksonu I may not need it now. He was cool with it. I may just snatch it up for a spare though.

Only code was P1335. Unplugging was the next trick if the battery thing didn't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.