Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Odd howling/wining noise

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  6.0FX4 
#1 ·
So I've been hearing this howling wining noise the past couple days and now it's starting to form into a sqeaky noise. the noise stays with the Rpms, I can't ID it cause I don't have anyone to hold the gas peddle down while I try to listen.when it's at idle there's no noise...
I was thinking a idler pully but the noise would stay constant. Any ideas to point me in the right direction

#2 ·
I have a bad egr cooler, not sure that would have anything to do with it

#3 ·
More info about the truck
115k miles
Does blow black smoke on a take off and on a rev. Stock tune. Stock everything else.
Runs normal. Good pulls no real lag, does have a bit of vibration on a take off

#6 ·
No. Only time I can here it is when the window is rolled down and I'm lightly on the peddle

#7 ·
Check here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...delete-now-tea-kettle-whistling-gremlins.html

It's funny because I just started having an issue myself yesterday. Started to hear a high pitched squeal/whistle under load/boost on my way to Baltimore. On the way home it was a lot worse. Very loud and annoying and very embarrassing! Pulled over and found the hot side CAC boot had slipped but after fixing that it was the same. Power and boost seem fine but I did notice it taking longer for EGT to come down.

#10 ·
Went underneath the truck with a flashlight. Could easily see where the passenger side bellow on the y-pipe is blown. After removing the degas bottle, went from the top of the engine with some JB Weld Steel Stick (stuff is awesome by the way) and did my best to put some around the bellow. Then went from underneath the truck with a long dowel rod and tried to work it in where I couldn't reach from the top. Figure I got about 90% of it until I can purchase a replacement y-pipe. We'll see tonight when I drive it. I'm guessing I found my issue.

Also found that the two cracks in my degas bottle started leaking. Saw them before but now they started to seep under pressure I guess. So that is going to be replaced as well.

#11 ·
Is there any way of knowing if there is a tune on the truck? Cause I've had an 03 and 05. When them both where on a stock tune they were a slug.. And the one I got now really halls some a$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.